Finding the Index of Refraction in a Prism

In summary, you are asked to find the index of refraction of a prism material when a ray of light passes through it at a minimum angle of deviation. The rays enter and emerge at 37 degrees from the normal to the surface. Using Snell's Law and the given information, you can solve for the index of refraction of the prism material.
Fan

Homework Statement

A ray of light passes through a prism, making the minimum angle of deviation. The rays enter and emerge at 37degree from the normal to the surface. What is the index of refraction of the material, if the prism angle is 50degree?[/B]

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://www.eserc.stonybrook.edu/projectjava/snell/image39L.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://www.eserc.stonybrook.edu/projectjava/snell/image39L.jpg
(1.0)Sin(37)=1.33(Sin_2) = 0.45 with an angle of 27 degree

I know i need to solve for one of the "N" . I am confused as to which N do i solve for and do i still use the standard of 1 and 1.33 for N?

I have no idea how to rotate the image so i apologize in advance for the neck breaker.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_4356.JPG
    IMG_4356.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 472
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's convenient to take the external quantities n1 and θ1 to be the conditions where the light is entering the prism. So n1 would be the index of refraction of air in this case.

The index of refraction of the prism material is an unknown at this point, and it's what you are meant to solve for. Looks like you'll need to determine the angle of refraction θ2 in order to employ your Snell's Law equation. What other information is in the problem statement that might allow you to do that?

1. What is the index of refraction in a prism?

The index of refraction in a prism is a measure of how much a material bends or refracts light as it passes through the prism.

2. How is the index of refraction calculated?

The index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction in a prism?

The index of refraction in a prism can be affected by the type of material the prism is made of, the temperature, and the wavelength of the light passing through it.

4. Why does light bend when passing through a prism?

Light bends when passing through a prism because the speed of light changes as it moves from one medium to another, causing it to change direction.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in a prism?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in a prism are related by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two materials.