1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index of Refraction Question

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The index of refraction is given by

n^2 = (N q / ε m) (1 / (ω0^2 - ω^2 + iγω))

Where N is the electron density, q is the charge of an electron, ε is the permittivity of free space, m is the mass of an electron, ω0 is the resonant frequency, ω is the incident frequency, and γ is the friction coefficient.

Consider the case of a free electron with a friction coefficient given by interactions with positive ions. What is n^2 for this case?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not super sure how to approach this problem. I figure that ω0 has to be 0 for free electrons, but I'm not sure what to do with the friction term. A gentle nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted