1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index of subgroups

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a group and let H,K be subgroups of G.
    Assume that G is finite and that the indices |G:H| and |G:K| are relatively prime. Show that G=HK.

Hint: Show that |G:H(intersect)K| is divisible by both |G:H| and |G:K| and then use the counting principle for |HK|.

3. The attempt at a solution

First off, why do the indices have to be relatively prime?
    I don't know how to show that |G:H(intersect)K| is divisible by both |G:H| and |G:K|, but I do know that if I assume those, I know how to use the counting principle because ultimately it will come down to saying that |HK|=c|G| for some multiple c, and c must = 1 otherwise it says that for c>1, |HK|>|G| and that is not possible.

EDIT:
    Is the intersection of the left coset of H and the left coset of K disjoint? Since they are both equivalence classes they would have to either be disjoint or equal, no? So then |G:H(intersect)K| would consist of both xH and xK for some x in G.....?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the indices were not prime then it's easy to come up with examples where G does not equal HK.

As to showing that |G:H[itex]\cap[/itex]K| is divisible by both |G:H| and |G:K|, here's a hint: H[itex]\cap[/itex]K is a subgroup of H, K and G.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    I understand that H(union)K is a subgroup of H, K and G. But I don't understand how the numbers would work. How do we know that |G:H(union)K| is definitely a multiple of both |G:H| and |G:K|?

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4
    I just added this "edit" into my original question:

Is the intersection of the left coset of H and the left coset of K disjoint? Since they are both equivalence classes they would have to either be disjoint or equal, no? So then |G:H(intersect)K| would consist of both xH and xK for some x in G.....?

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just write down what |G:H|, |G:K| and |G:H[itex]\cap[/itex]K| are. It will also help to think about what |H:H[itex]\cap[/itex]K| and |K:H[itex]\cap[/itex]K| are.

"The" left coset of H? I think you need to review your definitions. A coset is not an equivalence class; it's a set.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?