What is the Indexed Family of Subsets?

• Thread starter pezola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, the function f applied to the union of all the X_{\alpha}s is equal to the union of what you get after you apply the function f to the X_{\alpha}s.
pezola

Homework Statement

Let f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] B be given and let {X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]} for [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] I be an indexed family of subsets of A.

Prove:

a) f(U[tex]_{\alpha\inI}[/tex] X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]) = U[tex]_{\alpha\inI}[/tex]f(X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove these two things are equal I must show that the left side is a subset of the right and that the right side is a subset of the left. However, the notation on these problems is really confusing me. I understand that I am being asked to show that the function f applied to the union of all the X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex] s is equal to the union of what you get after you apply the function f to the X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]s. And the result seems reasonable to me, but I have no idea how to right this out.

There are actually many more parts to this question, but I think I will be able to do them once I understand how to write things out.

(I had a hard time getting the symbols to type in right, so I am including a scanned version of the problem as well. Thanks.)

Attachments

• number 3.bmp
    279.7 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
pezola said:
Let f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] B be given and let {X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]} for [tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] I be an indexed family of subsets of A.

Prove:

a) f(U[tex]_{\alpha\inI}[/tex] X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex]) = U[tex]_{\alpha\inI}[/tex]f(X[tex]_{\alpha}[/tex])

Hi pezola! :smile:

(you have to leave a space after \in :wink:)

Hint: start "if y ∈ f([tex]\bigcup_{\alpha\in I}X_{\alpha}[/tex]), then ∃ x ∈ [tex]\bigcup_{\alpha\in I}X_{\alpha}[/tex] such that f(x) = y, so ∃ … " :smile:

It is amazing the difference a space will make. :biggrin:

Thank you so much!...I was able to do all parts of the problem and even presented them in class!

1. What is an indexed family of subsets?

An indexed family of subsets is a collection of subsets of a given set, where each subset is labeled or indexed by an element of another set. This allows for a more organized and systematic way of representing subsets and their relationships.

2. How is an indexed family of subsets different from a regular family of subsets?

In a regular family of subsets, the subsets are simply listed or grouped together without any specific labeling or organization. In an indexed family, each subset is uniquely identified by its index, making it easier to keep track of and compare different subsets.

3. What are the applications of indexed families of subsets?

Indexed families of subsets are commonly used in mathematics and computer science for various purposes, such as in set theory, topology, and data structures. They also have practical applications in fields like genetics and economics, where subsets of data need to be organized and analyzed.

4. Can an indexed family of subsets have an infinite number of subsets?

Yes, an indexed family of subsets can have an infinite number of subsets. This is particularly useful in mathematics, where infinite sets are commonly studied. The indexing allows for a clear and concise way of representing and manipulating these infinite subsets.

5. How can an indexed family of subsets be represented visually?

An indexed family of subsets can be represented visually using a Venn diagram or a concept lattice. In a Venn diagram, each subset is represented as a circle, and the overlapping areas show the relationship between the subsets. In a concept lattice, the subsets are organized in a hierarchical tree structure, with the indexes representing the levels of the tree.