Indian Colleges offering B.Sc Physics (H)

• Schools
  • Thread starter ManishR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is a high school graduate with an interest in theoretical and mathematical physics and pure mathematics, looking to pursue a B.Sc. in Physics (hons) and seeking admission to colleges through entrance tests. They mention Chennai Mathematical Institute and ask for other options. The conversation then goes on to discuss the different colleges and institutes in India that offer courses in pure science, with a focus on physics. The expert summarizer suggests the IITs, IISERs, Presidency Colleges, and Chennai Mathematical Institute as options. They also mention the possibility of applying for a Ph.D. in the US after completing an engineering course in India. The person also shares their personal experience and opinion on the Delhi University and suggests taking up an electrical
Board practs were awesome. Although my performance on CET and AIEEE will decide my future!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sourabh N said:
I have studied there, so I can say, it was a good experience. As last post shows, some people had not-so-good experiences, but there are some who have great opinions. On average, for B.Sc. in Physics, I'd say it's one of the best (if not THE best) place in India.

Again, it depends. During my course, we did Introduction to quantum theory by the end of third year, which I think is NOT a regular part of a average International University. CMI and IMSc are like sister institutes and one can also do (and people do) graduate courses at IMSc during their undergraduate at CMI.
As far as self study goes, it's expected from you. If you join CMI, it is understood that you love physics and will study physics without some assignment/deadline to push you (though there are some courses with lots of assignments+deadlines, but I'm talking in general).

In most of the courses I attended, we could raise hand, address the professor by their first name, and ask question in the middle of the class, fearlessly.

Hi, could you tell me whether BSc Mathematics & Computer Science students are allowed to take (or have taken) graduate or MSc courses at CMI?

Last edited by a moderator:
doodle_sack said:
Hi, could you tell me whether BSc Mathematics & Computer Science students are allowed to take (or have taken) graduate or MSc courses at CMI?

Yes to both. One can also take courses offered at IMSc, given your schedule doesn't clash with courses at CMI (usually not an issue).

Sourabh N said:
Yes to both. One can also take courses offered at IMSc, given your schedule doesn't clash with courses at CMI (usually not an issue).

Thanks. Could you tell me how many graduate level courses one is allowed to take? Or is there any restrictions in that case?

doodle_sack said:
Thanks. Could you tell me how many graduate level courses one is allowed to take? Or is there any restrictions in that case?
That's rather specific. You should email the graduate coordinator (you can find the person on the website, somewhere) and clarify with them. Though usually, students take maximum 4-5 courses (with exceptions) and maybe 1-2 graduate courses max, in one semester (again, with exceptions).

doodle_sack said:
Thing about CMI is, there are very few administrative restrictions on any such issues. You can take as many electives (graduate level/at CMI or IMSc) as you can fit into your timetable (I think under new rules you have to convince your advisor that you won't flunk them).

Realistically, it is possible to take ~4-5 additional courses over 3 yrs (I took 5, although I've heard of a person who managed to do 9). Also, there's no restriction on physics students doing math courses and vice-versa.

Thanks.

Where could i get earlieer years CMI entrance test coz the sample papers on their site had Q's harder than those in from JEE ! lol :P

I don't think they exist anywhere on the net. Most probably they (aka They should) have a different 'pattern' every time.

Why should they have a diferent pattern every year?? Its annoying enuff understanding the JEE and AIEEE patterns let alone having to work differnetly for every college ..

could you please have a look at the sample paper and let me knw if the exam you gave had that hard Q's ?

thanks
Samad

you are an alumni of CMI aren't you ?

samad.kidwai said:
Why should they have a diferent pattern every year?? Its annoying enuff understanding the JEE and AIEEE patterns let alone having to work differnetly for every college ..

Haha, notice the quotes I put around pattern. I meant, they should have different kinds of questions. For my entrance test, we had a few MCQ's and few subjective problems. That's more than enough "types of questions". It's annoying indeed to have so many types or problems/marking schemes (match the following? :yuck:)

could you please have a look at the sample paper and let me knw if the exam you gave had that hard Q's ?

I did, after you last post. It's been 4 years since I gave that exam, but I think the questions given there are comparable to what we got. The thing is(was), even though they might seem hard, one has(I had) more time in this exam to solve the questions from first principles, contrary to JEE or AIEEE where you have to get to the right answer very quickly, the method being irrelevant.

LOL at match the following :p

thanks a lot for the proompt reply, let's hope i get some old papers from somewhere ...

what do you think about IGNOU ?

What is the min percentage in 12th class to get into a good college ,
I am in 12th right now and preparing for JEE in a coaching institute for the last 2 years

I think I've found the correct place and you people will surely help me.
From mumbai, I gave 12th this year and I got just 72%, I didn't pay attention to boards, prepared for iit jee(advanced) and getting around 30% in it. I solve IIT level problems easily , got low marks because I didn't study chemistry. So is my 1year wasted and taking a drop is the only option left?
Even I'm interested in pure sciences and want to become physicist.

i have secured 92.75 from isc board(english included)..what are my chances of landing up in a good college.?rather i must ask what good colleged should i apply for.?
# i have an eca quota(debates) with quite a good nb of certificates.?

ManishR said:
what do you think about IGNOU ?

I think the BSc program of IGNOU is good. I have enrolled for it. But I do not know anyone personally who has done the course and then went on to "achieve great things" in physics after that. So, it's a gamble but it is a risk I am willing to take.