Indicator Property of the Riemann Integral

In summary: E \cap [x_{i-1},x_i])##.Thus, we have ##U(f,P) - L(f,P) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m(E \cap [x_{i-1},x_i]) - \sum_{i=1}^{n} m(E \cap [x_{i-1},x_i]) = 0##. Since we can choose any ##\epsilon>0##, this shows that ##1_E## is Riemann integrable on ##[a,b]##.Now, to find the value of the integral, we use the definition of the Riemann integral to get:$$\int_{a
jamilmalik

Homework Statement

Hello fellow Mathematics enthusiasts. I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem from Terry Tao's Introduction to Measure Theory:

Let ##[a,b]## be an interval, and let ##f,g:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}## be Riemann integrable. Establish the following statement.

(Indicator) If ##E## is a Jordan measurable of ##[a,b]##, then the indicator function ##1_E: [a,b] \to \mathbb{R}## (defined by setting ##1_E(x) :=1## when ##x \in E## and ##1_E(x) :=0## otherwise.) is Riemann integrable, and ##\int_{a}^{b}1_E(x) dx = m(E)##.

Homework Equations

In this problem, the notion of Jordan measure is being used. As a quick refresher, the Jordan inner measure ##m_{*,(J)}(E) := \sup_{A \subset E, A \quad \text{elementary}} m(A)## and
the Jordan outer measure ##m^{*,(J)}(E) := \inf_{B \supset E, B \quad \text{elementary}} m(B)##.
Whenever ##m_{*,(J)}=m^{*,(J)}##, then we say that ##E## is Jordan measurable and call ##m(E)## the Jordan measure of ##E##.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the third part of an exercise that asks the reader to establish some basic properties of the Riemann integral: linearity and monotonicity. I have done the previous two, but do not know how to start this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

In case anyone is interested in reading the book I am using, here is the link for the free online version.

http://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/measure-book1.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First, let's recall the definition of Riemann integrability. A function ##f## is said to be Riemann integrable on ##[a,b]## if for any given ##\epsilon>0##, there exists a partition ##P## of ##[a,b]## such that the upper Riemann sum of ##f## over ##P## minus the lower Riemann sum of ##f## over ##P## is less than ##\epsilon##.

Now, let's consider the indicator function ##1_E##. Since ##E## is Jordan measurable, we know that its Jordan inner and outer measures are equal, denoted by ##m_{*,(J)}(E)## and ##m^{*,(J)}(E)## respectively. This means that there exists a sequence of elementary sets ##\{A_n\}## such that ##m(A_n) \to m(E)## as ##n \to \infty##.

Now, let's choose a partition ##P=\{x_0,x_1,\ldots,x_n\}## of ##[a,b]## such that each subinterval ##[x_{i-1},x_i]## contains exactly one point from each of the sets ##A_n##. This is possible since for any given subinterval, we can always choose a point from one of the sets ##A_n## that is contained in that subinterval.

Then, the upper Riemann sum of ##1_E## over ##P## is given by ##U(f,P) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \sup_{[x_{i-1},x_i]} 1_E(x_i) (x_i-x_{i-1}) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m(E \cap [x_{i-1},x_i])##, since ##1_E(x) = 1## for all ##x \in E## and ##1_E(x) = 0## for all ##x \notin E##. Similarly, the lower Riemann sum of ##1_E## over ##P## is given by ##L(f,P) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \inf_{[x_{i-1},x_i]} 1_E(x_i) (x_i-x_{i-1}) = \sum_{i=1

1. What is the indicator property of the Riemann integral?

The indicator property of the Riemann integral is a mathematical concept that helps us determine whether a function is integrable or not. It states that a function is Riemann integrable if and only if it is bounded and has a set of points where it is continuous almost everywhere.

2. How is the indicator property used in the Riemann integral?

The indicator property is used to determine whether a function is Riemann integrable or not. It is also used to prove the existence of the Riemann integral for a given function.

3. Can the indicator property be used for all functions?

No, the indicator property can only be used for bounded functions. If a function is unbounded, it cannot be Riemann integrable.

4. What is the significance of the indicator property in mathematics?

The indicator property is significant because it helps us determine the integrability of a function, which is an important concept in calculus and real analysis. It also provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of the Riemann integral.

5. Are there any other properties of the Riemann integral?

Yes, there are several other properties of the Riemann integral, such as linearity, additivity, and monotonicity. These properties make the Riemann integral a powerful tool in solving various mathematical problems.