1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indices proof

1. May 30, 2006 #1

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something I have been curious about, but never had the time to think about is, I know that;

[tex]x^{3/2} = \sqrt{x^{3}}[/tex]

But I have never seen any proof of this. Does anyone have a good resource or can show me the proof here? It would be much appreciated.

~H

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

So are you asking why [tex](a^m)^n=a^{mn}[/tex]?

A simple explanation would just be to expand the left-hand side:

[tex](a^m)^n[/tex]
    [tex]=a^m \cdot a^m \cdot...\cdot a^m[/tex] (n-times)
    [tex]=a^{m+m+m+...+m}[/tex] (n times) since [itex]a^m \cdot a^m=a^{m+m}[/itex]
    [tex]=a^{mn}[/tex] since m+m+m+...+m n times is just m times n

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. May 30, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank's yeah, I've just got it. Just as I was replying to this I found it in one of my old textbooks, guess I should look through my books more before asking stupid questions.:grumpy: Thank's again.

~H

5. May 30, 2006 #4

dav2008

Gold Member

6. May 30, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is not so much a "proof" as an explanation of why we define
    ax in certain ways.

It is easy to show that, as long as n and m are positive integers, anam= an+m. That's just a matter of counting the number of "a"s being multiplied.
    Similarly, it is easy to show that, as long as n and m are positive integers, (an)[/sup]m[/sup]= anm. Again, that's just a matter of counting the number of "a"s being multiplied.

Those are very nice formulas! It would help a lot if axay= ax+y and (ax)y= axy for all x and y.

IF it were true that ana0= an+0, even when the exponent is 0, we must have an+0= an= ana0 and if a is not 0 we can divide by an to get a0= 1 as long as a is not 0.

Similarly, to guarentee that this formula is true for n negative, we must have ana-n= an-n= a0= 1: in other words that a-n= 1/an. Of course, we can only do that division if an is not 0: in other words if a is not 0.

If we want (an)m even when m is not a positive, we must have (an)-n= an-n= a0= 1. In other words, we must define a0= 1 as long as a is not 0. There is no way to define 00 that will make anam= an+m for a= 0.

Similarly, if we want anam= an+m for n or m negative, we must have ana-n= an-n= a0= 1 for all positive integers n: in other words, again dividing by an, a-n= 1/an as long as a is not 0.

As dav2008 pointed out, in order to have (am)n= amn true even when m and n are not integers, we must have (an)1/n= a1 so that a1/n= [itex]\^n\sqrt{a}[/itex] and then, that am/n= [itex]^n\sqrt{a^n[/itex].

In order to define ax for x irrational we require that f(x)= ax be continuous.

7. May 30, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh, makes more sense now. Thanks both of you, it is much appreciated.

~H

8. May 31, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of us is making a mistake with this bit. Is that a typo ?

9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't spot that, surely (an)-n = [itex]a^{-n\cdot n}[/itex]?

~H

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?