1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Indicial notation proof

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the identity
    [tex]
    \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{ik} \delta_{jl} - \delta_{il} \delta_{jk}
    [/tex]
    as a shortcut to obtain the following results:
    a) [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= 2\delta_{ij}[/tex]
    b) [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} = 6[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve that by solving the determinant [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= [\delta][/tex] but the result just became zero. or even, I tried to change i=k and j=l in the first equation but the result was zero as well. I don't know what should I do, I'm really stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is incorrect, on the LHS only the indices [itex]i[/itex], [itex]j[/itex], [itex]l[/itex], and[itex]m[/itex] are free indices ([itex]k[/itex] is being summed over, so it is called a dummy index), so only those indices should appear on the RHS side of the identity. Instead, you should have:

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl}
    [/tex]

Start by using the fact that [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is invariant under cyclic transposition of indices so that [itex]\epsilon_{jlm}=\epsilon{mjl}[/itex] and hence, [itex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}=\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{mjl}[/itex], which is in the same form as your identity with [itex]j \to l[/itex], [itex]k\to m[/itex], [itex]l\to j[/itex] and [itex]m\to l[/itex]... What does that give you (show your calculatiuons)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook