Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indigo Carmine toxicity

  1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    When I checked the wikipedia page for Indigo Carmine, the article there says : "Indigo carmine is harmful to the respiratory tract if swallowed. It is also an irritant to the skin and eyes.".

    But on a Streplis pack, menthol flavour it says: "Contains permitted colours: Indigo Carmine".

    If it was as toxic as it is said on wpedia, it shouldn't be a part of medicines even in a small amount.. so what exactly is the case?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    There is a saying "toxicity is just dosage".
    Pretty much anything is bad for you in high enough doses, even Oxygen and water - similairly almost anything is harmful in small enough amounts.

    I suspect that there is very very little of the dye needed to make the strepsils a pretty colour.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: Indigo Carmine toxicity
  1. Fe toxic/poison (Replies: 5)

  2. Toxic Misapplications (Replies: 0)

  3. Manganese toxicity (Replies: 1)

  4. Cyto-Toxicity and dosage (Replies: 31)