Maximizing 3x+4y: Indirect Homework Statement

• Thread starter PFStudent
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of the function 3x+4y, given a constraint of a cylinder defined by the equation (x-7)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 64. The suggested method is to differentiate the equation with respect to a constant C, then substitute the resulting equation for C into the original function and find the intersection with the cylinder. Another suggestion is to parameterize the constraint and use Lagrange multipliers to find the maximum value.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

Given,
[tex]
{{(x - 7)}^{2}} + {{(y - 3)}^{2}} = {{8}^{2}}
[/tex]

What is,
[tex]
max(3x+4y)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

None really.

The Attempt at a Solution

Letting,
[tex]
3x+4y = C
[/tex]

When I get to the point where I have,
[tex]
{y} = {{\frac{-3x}{4}}+{\frac{C}{4}}}
[/tex]

Then substitute that in to,
[tex]
{{(x-7)}^{2}} + {{(y-3)}^{2}} = {{8}^{2}}
[/tex]

I get,
[tex]
{{\left(x - 7\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({\left({{\frac { - 3x}{4}} + {\frac {C}{4}}}\right)} - 3\right)}^{2}} = {{8}^{2}}
[/tex]

However, I am not sure how to proceed from here since I have two unknowns: [itex]x[/itex] and [tex]C[/tex].

So, how do I proceed from here?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you lagrange?
If I am thinking right, then this is asking you the max on
z = 3x+4y when this intersects (x-7)^2 .. equation

If you go by your way
I would suggest to differentiate the final equation with respect to C (you are maximizing C)
And you will find y = Ax+C equation (with some numbers)
And now, you know it should agree with your (x-7)^2+(y-.. equation
This should work.

Use Lagrange if you know it. It's lot faster and easier

Hey,

rootX said:
If you go by your way
I would suggest to differentiate the final equation with respect to C (you are maximizing C)
And you will find y = Ax+C equation (with some numbers)
And now, you know it should agree with your (x-7)^2+(y-.. equation
This should work.

Use Lagrange if you know it. It's lot faster and easier

Well the way I am interpreting this problem is that in the equation,

[tex]
max(3x+4y) = max(C)
[/tex]

Where [tex]max(C)[/tex] is a constant.

Additionally, if I differentiate as follows,

[tex]
{\frac{d}{dC}{\left[}}{{\left(x - 7\right)}^{2}} + {{\left({\left({{\frac { - 3x}{4}} + {\frac {C}{4}}}\right)} - 3\right)}^{2}}{\right]} = {\frac{d}{dC}{\left[}}{{8}^{2}}{\right]}
[/tex]

How am I supposed to differentiate: implicitly or partially with respect to [tex]C[/tex]?.

In addition, taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero will only yield the values that maximize the original function--however I still do not see how this will find, max(3x+4y).

Thanks,

-PFStudent

partially: treat x as constant.
so you will get C = something*x+some numbers
now substitute C in 3x+4y = C equation
and you will be some line
So, now find intersection of this line with original function(would give u max/min)

I think max(3x+4y) means you take x and y value from your function domain. So, finding function max when x and y are in 3x+4y relationship should give u the answer...or something like that

my interpretation:

Draw a cylinder in x-y-z co-od with that is defined by (x-7)^2 .. equation when z = 0
Draw a plane define by z=3x+4y

you will get a slanted disk, and they are asking for max of that disk

parameterize the constraint then plug that parameterization into your function. then maximize subject to the parameterization. the easieast way to parameterize your constraints is x = f(y) then you'll have to check max's on two parameterizations. if you still can't get it i'll post more.

actually just use lagrange multipliers.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to maximize 3x+4y?

Maximizing 3x+4y means finding the maximum possible value for the expression 3x+4y by choosing appropriate values for x and y.

2. How is indirect homework statement related to maximizing 3x+4y?

Indirect homework statement refers to a problem in which the goal is to maximize an expression, such as 3x+4y, without explicitly stating that the task is to maximize it. This type of problem often involves finding the maximum value of an expression in a real-world scenario.

3. What strategies can be used to maximize 3x+4y?

One strategy is to use the method of substitution, where one variable is isolated in terms of the other and then substituted into the expression to create a function of one variable. This function can then be optimized using calculus techniques, such as finding the critical points and using the first or second derivative test.

Another strategy is to use the method of linear programming, where the constraints of the problem are represented by inequalities and the feasible region is graphed to find the optimal solution.

4. Can maximizing 3x+4y be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, maximizing 3x+4y can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as maximizing profits in a business by determining the optimal production levels of two products, or maximizing the area of a rectangular plot of land given a fixed amount of fencing.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing 3x+4y?

One limitation is that maximizing 3x+4y assumes that the expression is linear, meaning that the variables x and y have a power of 1. If the expression is not linear, more advanced techniques may need to be used.

Additionally, the constraints of the problem may not always be easily represented by linear inequalities, which can make using the method of linear programming challenging.