1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indirect Proof

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    Heres the quesion

Prove that the line whose equation is y=2x-1 does not intersect the curve with equation y=x^4 + 3x^2 +2x.

We are suppose to solve this using indirect proof, thus assuming the equations do intersect, and proving that wrong.

i let the y's equal each other, but that isnt getting me anywhere

where should i start.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Of course that is getting you somewhere. Ever thought of substituting x^2 = t ?
  4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    Let [itex]y_1(x) = 2x-1[/itex] and [itex]y_2(x) = x^4 + 3x^2 + 2x[/itex]. Look at [itex]f(x) = y_2(x) - y_1(x) = x^4 + 3x^2 + 1[/itex].

If [itex]y_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2[/itex] intersect at [itex]x_0 \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] then [itex]f(x_0) = 0[/itex]. Can you get the contradiction (what do you know about [itex]x^2, \, x^4[/itex] when [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]?)?
  5. Sep 25, 2006 #4

umm yea i got the roots, x=1 or x=1 or x=-1

but what does that mean
  6. Sep 25, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

How did you get these roots? Let's start again. Intersection means setting x^4+3x^2+2x = 2x - 1, which implies x^4+3x^2+1=0. Now, as said, substitute x^2 = t, and solve the quadratic equation. Both solutions of this equation t1 and t2 are negative. So, substituting back to x^2 = t means that there is no real solution for the equation x^4+3x^2+1=0, i.e. y1 = x^4+3x^2+2x and y2 = 2x - 1 don't intersect.
  7. Sep 25, 2006 #6
    thank you so much

i just made a simple sign error in factoring t^2 + t +1

which gave me wrong roots

thanks again
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?