1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indirect Proofs

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    use the method of indirect proof. if m and n are integars and there product mn is odd, prove that both m and n are odd

so i wnat to prove that (m)(n) odd (mn)

so i assume that (mn) is even to go about the indirect method

now i need a jump start i wrote some equations and some algebra but dindt come up with a contradication

help is appreciative thats alot guys

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Start off by

[tex] m = 2k+1 [/tex]

[tex] n = 2c + 1 [/tex]

where k and c is any natural number.

4. Dec 1, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using contradiction (indirect proof), you can assume either m or n to be even (that is, a multiple of two) and show that mn must also be even.

5. Dec 1, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's exactly the wrong thing to do.

Since blimkie wants to use indirect proof to prove that "both m and n must be odd, he should negate that: "either m or n is even".

So assume m= 2p, which is even for any integer p, multiply by n and see what happens!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  6. Dec 1, 2005 #5
    A number to be even it should be divisible by 2. thus for the product mn to be divisible by 2 any of the integers m or n must be divisible by prime 2. thus the divisibility testdiectlygives you the answer that then anyone of them must be an even number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?