Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indoor Soccer

1. Yes!

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No... :(

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    I really like this sport! It's fun. Who agrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2
    Indoor soccer and indoor dodge ball are both fun.

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gosh, haven't played that since high school! (We had intramural teams in college, but I never had the night free that they played.) It's a fun game (so is outdoor soccer). That's not to say I'm any good at it, but I have fun trying.

And, yep, dodge ball is fun too. :biggrin: Ooh, how fun would it be to combine the two!

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4
    too fun but too fast.

6. Mar 27, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh heh...that's why I'm no good at it, but definitely fun. It would be so cool sometime to get all the PF geeks together for a game...at least then we wouldn't have to worry about the jocks hogging the ball. :biggrin:

7. Mar 27, 2006 #6
    Oh wait... did you mean on a court in a gym? I thought you meant in the house.

8. Mar 27, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I thought dogdeball and soccer were creative enough as a combination...didn't realize you were adding an obstacle course to it too. :biggrin: I never even thought of soccer inside a house!

9. Mar 27, 2006 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're probably just obeying your mother...

"Don't even think about kicking that ball around inside the house, young lady!"

10. Mar 27, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, there was that too. Actually, it was more like, "Take it outside, NOW!" :rolleyes:

11. Mar 27, 2006 #10
    Outdoor dodgeball? I think that would be a pain to play unless there were nets or something to stop the ball from going too far.

I have never played indoor soccer, in fact, I don't think I have ever played soccer, ever! :surprised

12. Mar 27, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We played dodgeball both inside and outside (though more often inside...it was a good game to play for indoor recess on rainy days). If you have a big enough group of kids, the ball rarely escapes the circle, but if it did, yeah, it was a bit more exercise chasing after it.

13. Mar 28, 2006 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

well perhaps I can stand it if you don't call it soccer!

14. Mar 28, 2006 #13
    I used to play a little 6-a-side footy but stoped when i moved 2 years ago. I don`t miss it too much, rolling subs used to kill me. :eek:utabreathsmilie:

15. Mar 28, 2006 #14
    Indoor soccer was fun, until I discovered hockey. Now that's fun!!

16. Mar 28, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It's OK, but the field is kind of small - I always like to be able to run 100 m :tongue2: - and 60 m seems kind of smallish. And I like the grass and outdoors. Of course, in the winter time with snow and subfreezing weather, indoors works. :biggrin:

Oh yeah - the rules - http://www.misl.net/upload_images/mislrules05.pdf

17. Mar 29, 2006 #16

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indoor is fun but it's mostly a substitute for when outdoor isn't an option, usually the period when the ground is frozen. Though the group I play with typically manages at least 1 or 2 snow and ice games each year.

The gym I play in has some nice corners and random obstacles that can make some interesting angles when you get to know your way around. I have a size 4 ball for kicking around my apartment in the winter as well. I've dribbled it past my girlfriend many times as she just rolled her eyes at me wishing it was summer and I would get out. Fortunately, outdoor has just begun for the season :smile:

18. Mar 29, 2006 #17

Astronuc

:rofl:

I am not allowed to play inside the house. :rofl:

19. Mar 29, 2006 #18

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're surely alone sometimes, what they don't know...o:)

20. Mar 29, 2006 #19

Astronuc

:rofl: Well, I need wide open spaces - at least 70 m x 100 m. :biggrin:

Actually several sq km's is preferable.

Maybe Montana!

21. Mar 29, 2006 #20

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The skills you learn playing against your furniture directly translate to skills on the big pitch :wink:

Nice open fields, yea I like that too. An advantage of unorganized pickup soccer- the sidelines can be declared to be the nearest busy roads, no matter how far they are :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?