Closure under * for subset H of commutative elements in set S

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that the set H, which consists of all elements in S that commute with every element in S under an associative binary operation *, is closed under *. To prove this, it must be shown that for all a, b \in H, (a*b)*x = x*(a*b) for all x \in S. By utilizing the fact that * is associative, it can be shown that (a*b)*x = a*(b*x), and since a, b \in H, it follows that b*x = x*b and a*x = x*a. Therefore, (a*b)*x = a*(b*x) = a*(x*b) = (a*x)*b
bennyska

Homework Statement

suppose that * is an associative binary operation on a set S. Let H = {a elementof S | a*x = x*a forall x elementof S}. Show that H is closed under *.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't really know where to begin. I know i need to show forall a,b elementof H, a*b elementof H. i know * is associative, and H is the subset of all commutive elements of S. (the book says, "we think of H as consisting of all elements of S that commute with every element is S." same thing?) where do i go from here? what does * being associative have to do with commutive elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]a, b \in H[/itex]. To show closure, you want to prove that [itex]a*b \in H[/itex]. In other words, you want to show that for all [itex]x \in S[/itex], [itex](a*b)*x = x*(a*b)[/itex]. Make sense?

so could i say:
since * is associative, then for all a, b, x in S, (a*b)*x = a*(b*x), and since H is the set of all commutative elements, then (a*b)*x = a*(b*x) = x*(b*a) = x*(a*b), and H is closed under S. does that make sense, or did i just reiterate what you said? ( i guess i want to reiterate what you said with more detail.)

Yeah, essentially, but you need to pay more attention to the details. The statement only holds for a, b in H, not in S generally, but it needs to hold for all x in S. Also, just do one step at a time so it's clear that each step is justified. When you wrote a*(b*x)=x*(b*a), how do you know x and a can switch places like that? You are using neither commutativity nor associativity alone, so it's not immediately apparent to the reader that the step is correct.

1. What is an induced binary operator?

An induced binary operator is a mathematical operation that takes two elements from a set and produces a single element from the same set. It is "induced" because it is defined by the properties of the set and not by the operation itself.

2. How is an induced binary operator different from a regular binary operator?

An induced binary operator is different from a regular binary operator in that it is defined by the properties of the set, rather than by the operation itself. This means that the same operation can be considered an induced binary operator on one set and a regular binary operator on another set.

3. What are the properties of a set that determine an induced binary operator?

The properties of a set that determine an induced binary operator are closure, associativity, commutativity, and identity. Closure means that the operation produces an element from the same set, associativity means that the order of operations does not matter, commutativity means that the order of the operands does not matter, and identity means that there exists an element that does not change when operated on with any other element.

4. Can an operation be both an induced binary operator and a regular binary operator?

Yes, an operation can be both an induced binary operator and a regular binary operator, depending on the set it is applied to. For example, addition on the set of integers is a regular binary operator, but addition on the set of even numbers is an induced binary operator.

5. What are some examples of induced binary operators?

Some examples of induced binary operators are multiplication on the set of real numbers, addition on the set of even numbers, and intersection on the set of subsets of a given set. These operations are defined by the properties of their respective sets and not by the operation itself.