1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced charge distribution

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1

pcm

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two infinite conducting plates 1 and 2(both grounded or connected by a wire so that their potential is same) are separated by a distance l.
    A point charge q is located between the plates at a distance x from plate 1.
    find the charges induced on each plate.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    the book says that if the charge q is imagined to be uniformly spread over the plane passing through that charge and parallel to the plates , the charges induced on plates remains unchanged, only their distribution changes.
    i can solve the problem if i assume it.i will assume a certain charge distribution and field can be easily found out and using that i can find change in potential change in going from either plates to the middle plate.and that should be equal.
    but can anyone tell me from where that assumption came from.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

pcm

if the charge q is imagined to be uniformly spread over the plane passing through that charge and parallel to the plates , the charges induced on plates remains unchanged, only their distribution changes.

can anyone explain that.......

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3

pcm

Bump.........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook