1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Current in a Coil

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

23-086-solenoid2.jpg

A cylindrical solenoid 30 cm long with a radius of 8 mm has 400 tightly-wound turns of wire uniformly distributed along its length (see the figure). Around the middle of the solenoid is a two-turn rectangular loop 3 cm by 2 cm made of resistive wire having a resistance of 190 ohms. One microsecond after connecting the loose wire to the battery to form a series circuit with the battery and a 20 resistor, what is the magnitude of the current in the rectangular loop and its direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise in the diagram)? (The battery has an emf of 9 V.)

2. Relevant equations

B = μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]NI /d

L= μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]N[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]/d

I = emf/R * [1-e[itex]^{-(R/L)t}[/itex]]

emf(induced)= d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to check my reasoning here and get advice on how to approach a problem like this.

1. Since the Current is varying with time, I used I = emf/R * [1-e[itex]^{-(R/L)t}[/itex]] to find I at t=1microsecond and got I= .20194 Amperes

2. Used B = μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]NI /d to find B=1.76229E-4 Tesla

3. Induced Emf = -d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dt where [itex]\Phi[/itex] = ∫B*dA

I took dA to be the cross-sectional Area of the rectangle

Then induced (EMF*Number of turns in rectangle)/R =I

I keep getting relatively close answers but not correct. I don't think I'm thinking of this n the right way. Where am I at fault?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The general approach looks alright, although I'm not sure what you're doing with the value of the current in the coil or the value of the B field for that particular time. It'll be the rate of change of the B field that you'll need, no?

Even so, the value you're getting for the current looks a bit odd. What values did you calculate for the inductance and the time constant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook