1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced current on a loop

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long straight wire carries a steady current. A square conducting loop is in the same plane as the wire. If we push the loop toward the wire, how is the direction of the current induced in the loop related to the direction of the current in the wire?

2. Relevant equations
    F=qvxB

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that a moving wire causes a force and therefore a current along the wire. I am having a hard time relating the moving wire to the square loop. Is it in the same magnetic field? Because it's a square wouldn't the current be travelling in all different directions? I'm really confused about where to start how to the relate the force on the wire to the force on the loop.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2
    Have you heard about Right-Hand Rule or Left-Hand Rule? Those rules are related to the problem you are stuck in.

4. Mar 23, 2014 #3
    I'm confused about the velocity vector of the loop if the loop is stationary. I know for the right-hand rule, my pointer finger points in the direction of the velocity, my middle finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and my thumb in the direction of the force. Is the magnetic field pointing in the same direction as it was for the wire. Is the direction of the force the same direction as the current?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted