How Is Induced Current Calculated in a Rectangular Loop?

In summary, the rectangular loop shown has a resistance of 20.0 mΩ and the induced current at the instant shown is 66.7µA. To solve for this, you must use the Biot-Savart Law to find the flux through the loop as a function of radius, and then integrate over the loop radius. You can use Faraday's Law to find the induced emf, and then use the equation I=emf/R to solve for the induced current. It is important to note that the loop is moving with respect to the wire, so the B field through the loop will be changing.
erinec

Homework Statement

The rectangular loop shown has resistance 20.0 mΩ.
Determine the induced current in the loop at the instant shown.
Answer: 66.7µA
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7386/picture1nlz.png

Homework Equations

induced emf = |d(flux)/dt|
I = emf / R

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost as to what to do... and I am so desperate.. If you could tell me the steps to solve this question, i would appreciate it very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us the Biot-Savart Law (that gives you the B(r) around the wire). Then show us the rest of the solution. I have to give myself an infraction now for giving too big of a hint...

Last edited:
Well... the problem is that.. I got this far:

emf = | d(flux)/dt |
= dB * A / dt
= dB (0.04*0.01) / dt
= dB (4*10^-4) / dt

but i do not know how to get dB...;
in other words, i am totally lost.I have B(r) = u0I/(2*pi*r)

This is my first time seeing this type of question.. and I am very confused as to what I'm doing.

Sorry if it sounds stupid.

The loop is moving with respect to the wire. So the B(t) through the loop will be changing, since the B is weaker the farther you get away from the wire. Write an equation based on the Biot-Savart Law for the flux throught the loop as a function of radius, and work from there...

Which radius should I use? The distance from the wire to the the inner side of the loop or the outer side of the loop?

erinec said:
Which radius should I use? The distance from the wire to the the inner side of the loop or the outer side of the loop?

You need to integrate over the loop radius.

I know this is old but I'm working on the exact same question.

So far i have this:
[PLAIN]http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cphi%20%3D%20B%20%5Cbullet%20dA%20%5C%5CB%20%3D%20%5Cmu_0%20I/%20%282%20%5Cpi%20r%29%20%5Ctextrm%7B%20by%20ampere%27s%20law%7D%20%5C%5C%5Cphi%20%3D%20%5Cmu_0%20I/%20%282%20%5Cpi%20r%29%5Cbullet%20dA%20%5C%5C%5Cphi%20%3D%20%5Cmu_0%20I/%20%282%20%5Cpi%20r%29%20L%20dr%20%5C%5C%5Cphi%20%3D%20%5Cint_a%5Eb%20%5Cmu_0%20I/%20%282%20%5Cpi%20r%29%20L%20dr%20%5C%5C%5Cphi%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7B%20%5Cmu_0%20I%20%5Cln%7B3/2%7D%7D%7B%5Cpi%7D.gif

Where the bounds of integration are b = 0.02 and a = 0.03 and L= 4.0cm from the picture. This is where i get lost. I wanted to use faraday's law to use:

[PLAIN]http://www.texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Ceps%20%3D%20%5Cmid%20%5Cfrac%7Bd%20%5Cphi%7D%7Bdt%7D%20%5Cmid.gif

Am i just totally going about this the wrong way by trying to use flux, and i have to use biot savart law?

Attachments

• (2 -pi r) L dr.gif
    (2 -pi r) L dr.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 838
Last edited by a moderator:

What is induced current?

Induced current refers to the flow of electricity that is created in a conductor when a magnetic field is changed or moved relative to the conductor.

How is induced current different from direct current?

Direct current flows in one direction, while induced current is created by a changing magnetic field and can flow in both directions.

What factors determine the magnitude of induced current?

The magnitude of induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor.

How is induced current used in everyday life?

Induced current is used in a variety of devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology for devices like smartphones and electric toothbrushes.

What are the potential hazards of induced current?

Induced current can cause electric shocks, especially in high-voltage situations. It can also damage sensitive electronic equipment if not properly controlled.