1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced current

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Hello All,

I have a question regarding induced EMF in a wire via a magnetic field. Check out the attached drawing to see my specific situation. If I have a piece of wire with length L and a magnetic field (from, say, a permanent magnet), moving along the length of wire with velocity V, how do I calculate the amount of emf produced in the wire? I'm trying to come up with a formula to calculate the emf if I know the length of the wire segment, the strength of the B field, and the speed at which it is moving along the wire. To give the field itself some dimension, I suppose I could denote the width of the field exposed to the wire as W.

Thanks,
    Jason O

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The figure isn't making sense to me yet. The wire and the B field are parallel? I don't think you'll induce any EMF in that geometry. The electrons in the wire need to move perpendicular to the B field in order for EMF to be generated. F = qv x B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?