Induced Current in Outer Coil - Solution Explained

In summary, the induced current in the outer coil will be greater when the applied current in the inner coil is increasing rapidly. This is because the faster the changes in the setup, the greater the rate of change of flux, leading to a greater variation in current in the outer coil.
Heat
[SOLVED] Induced Current

Homework Statement

If I have a scenario where one coil is insider another, in which of the following cases will the induced current in the outer coil be the greater?

When the applied current in the inner coil is increased slowly.
When the applied current in the inner coil is constant.
When the applied current in the inner coil is increasing rapidly.
When there is no applied current in the inner coil.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say when the current in the inner coil is increasing rapidly, but I am not sure.

I just read that the faster the any changes are carried in setup, the greater the current, this should mean that if the applied current in the inner coil is increased fast, then the current should be greater, (but that would be for the inner), how about the outer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should think so. Because faster the current in the inner one changes, the greater the rate of change of flux in the system, and hence, greater the variation of current in the outer coil.

ok, so far we both agree it's should be when the applied current in the inner coil is increasing rapidly. anyone else agree to this?

1. What is induced current in outer coil?

Induced current in outer coil refers to the flow of electric current in a coil that is caused by a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is described by Faraday's Law.

2. How is induced current in outer coil created?

Induced current in outer coil is created when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through the coil. This change can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a moving magnet or a changing current in a nearby coil.

3. What is the direction of induced current in outer coil?

The direction of induced current in outer coil is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field. According to Lenz's Law, the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

4. What factors affect induced current in outer coil?

The magnitude of induced current in outer coil is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, the resistance of the coil and the presence of any nearby magnetic materials can also impact the induced current.

5. What are the applications of induced current in outer coil?

Induced current in outer coil has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in various sensing and measurement devices, such as magnetic field sensors and metal detectors. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is the basis for wireless charging technology.