1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Current

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    If I have a top view of two circular coils of conducting wire lying on a flat surface, what is the direciton of induced current that appears in the smaller coil when the switch in the larger coil is closed?

I'm trying to figure out:
    1.) which direction the induced current would flow through the smaller coil
    2.) how long it would flow: forever, or only for a short time.

I've attached a picture of the wires for clarification.

I'm not sure how to solve this. I know that induced current in a loop occurs only when the magnetic field through that loop changes. I'm assuming that when the switch is closed a current will run counterclockwise around the larger loop, but I don't know if this is a valid assumption, or what that does for the smaller loop. Can soemone help please?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2
    Can't see the diagram now, but the idea is basically to use Lenz's Law, that the direction of the induced current in the smaller loop will flow in the direction that would create an induced magnetic field which opposes the change in magnetic flux linkage through it i.e. in the likes of N against N and S against S in a simplistic analysis in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook