1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced current

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    I'm having problems understanding this solution (attached.) I don't understand how they got 2*magnetic flux out of the change in the magnetic flux in the bottom of the attachment. Can someone explain that to me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2
    Essentially there are two periods of rotation that need to be considered. For the first interval, the area is decreasing from its maximum to minimum value (relative to the perpendicular B field). Moreover, an interval follows such that the area that the flux is passing through is increasing from its minimum to maximum value.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Thanks I figured it would be something like that, but I don't understand why there are 2 periods, is this kind of a fixed case?

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    Visualize the coil being flipped over. At first, the flux lines are passing through a maximum area, and as time proceeds, the area decreases (since the coil is being flipped, less flux is passing through) until it reaches its minimum (no flux). It then starts to increase its area as it continues to be flipped.

Take a piece of paper and flip it. Assume the B field is pointing down. As you are flipping the piece of paper, the area which the b field passes through decreases to a minimum when its plane is parallel to the B vectors, then increases until it is at a 90 degree angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook