1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Electric Field

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Hello, I'm stuck (again) on a physics problem.

The problem:

Early in 1981 the Francis Bitter National Magnet Laboratory at M.I.T. commenced operation of a 3.3 cm diameter cylindrical magnet, which produces a 30 T field, then the world's largest steady-state field. The field magnitude can be varied sinusoidally between the limits of 29.6 and 30.9 T at a frequency of 15 Hz. When this is done, what is the maximum value of the magnitude of the induced electric field at a radial distance of 1.6 cm from the axis?

What I've done so far: I've used Faraday's law, and after messing around with the equation I got E = (r/2)(dB/dt). As I understand it, the induced electric field is inside the magnetic field (r is less than R), so I thought this equation was correct.

R= .0165 m
    r = .016 m
    dB/dt = 19.5 Tesla/second. Since the frequency is 15, you multiply the difference of 30.9 and 29.6 by 15, getting 19.5

However when I plug the numbers in, my answer comes out wrong. Can someone point out where I screwed up? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Set up the equation for the field as a function of time (B = sinusoidal term + constant). Then differentiate with respect to time. There will be a factor [itex]\omega = 2\pi/T[/itex] in the equation.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?