How Does a Changing Magnetic Field Induce EMF in a Circular Loop?

In summary, the problem involves finding the induced current and emf in a circular wire loop when a magnetic field is acting at an angle theta with respect to the normal of the loop. The equations used include the equation for induced emf, \epsilon = -d\Phi/dt, and the equation for current, I = \epsilon/R. The calculation involves finding the change in area with respect to time, which results in a value of -4\pir^2 sin(2t) for the induced emf. However, the final expression for current, i = -4\pir^2 sin(2t)/R, is still a function of time and cannot be solved without more information.
themoleculoma

Homework Statement

Resistance = R
Radius = r
Angle = theta
B = 2cos(2t)
Circular wire loop where magnetic field acts at theta degrees with respect to the normal of the wire loop.
Find induced current and emf in wire loop. Find induced electric field at radial distance d from center of wire loop.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = -d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt
I = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]/R

The Attempt at a Solution

A = [tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{}2[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = d(BA)/dt
= A dB/dt
= [tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{}2[/tex] d(2cos(2t))/dt
= -4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{}2[/tex] sin(2t) = induced emf (area not changing)

Given a magnetic field B with a constraint of 2t for [tex]\omega[/tex]t, and no time, the answer must be with respect to t, correct? You can't use the frequency given by 2/2pi can you?

i = [tex]\epsilon[/tex] / R
i = -4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{}2[/tex] sin(2t) / R

Since I still don't know time I'm guessing I have to solve as a function of t?

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = dB/dt d/2 = -2sin(2t)d

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be a sin(theta) or cos(theta) in the expression for emf because only the part of B that is perpendicular to the coil causes emf.

Other than that, your calcs look good to me except for the very last line, which I don't understand at all. Leave the sin(2t) in your answers - don't try to solve for t.

Oh right, I forgot that :) Still trying to figure out the last part. Thanks

1. What is induced emf?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced emf different from regular emf?

Regular emf is produced by a battery or power source, while induced emf is created by a changing magnetic field in a conductor.

3. What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law states that the magnitude of induced emf is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conductor.

4. How does induced emf lead to current flow?

When a conductor is exposed to an induced emf, it creates an electric field which causes charges to move, resulting in a current flow.

5. What are some real-life applications of induced emf and current?

Induced emf and current are used in generators, motors, transformers, and many other electrical devices. They are also important in the production of electricity from renewable energy sources such as hydro, wind, and solar power.