1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced emf and Faraday's law

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A radio antenna that receives an AM radio station that emits at 800 kHz is constituted of an inductor of 120 turns with a radius of 0.6cm. The inductor is home to an iduced emf du to a magnetic field oscillating from the radio wave. The magnetic field is [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=1.0*10[tex]^{-5}[/tex]sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]ft)[tex]\vec{k}[/tex]. What is the induced emf in the inductor? We suppose that the magnetic field is oriented according to the inductor's axe.

2. Relevant equations
    emf = -Nd[flux]/dt

d[flux] = int[B*dA]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to integrate and find the flux, but Im not that great at calculus, but then what I really don't get is that Im gonna have to derive to find the emf. It seems like Im going in circles. By the way, the final answer is -0.682cos(5.03*10[tex]^{-6}[/tex]t) V.

Thanks for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
    I'm checking it right now, but seems to me that B here doesn't vary with area or location or anything

I'm assuming that the d in front of [flux] is a typo, as is the 2^pi(should be 2pi)

So you're integrating B*dA....>_> if B doesn't depend on the area, it just comes out of the integral and you get B*A, which is pi*r^2

then you take the time derivative of THAT(which most certainly depends on time)times -N

Your concern would be right except you're integrating over dA, then differentiating with respect to time

Edit: This is correct, and I checked it on windows calculator so it took like 6 start overs when I clicked the wrong thing :(
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much for the help, it works now. I was just complicating the problem. For some odd reason I was integrating the function for the magnetic field in the flux calculation, but it all works now. Thank you!!!
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?