Calculating Induced EMF in a Changing Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves a wire coil with a diameter of 5.80 cm and an initial magnetic field of 0.770 T pointing up. The field is then changed to 0.240 T pointing down over a period of 0.140 s. The average induced emf in the coil is found by using the formula E=-N(change in magnetic flux/change in time) and taking into account the direction and magnitude of the magnetic fields. After correcting for some mistakes, the correct average induced emf is calculated to be 0.0191 V counterclockwise.
Moxin
Ok, so here's the problem:

Induced EMF
A 5.80 cm diameter wire coil is initially oriented so that its plane is perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.770 T pointing up. During the course of 0.140 s, the field is changed to one of 0.240 T pointing down. What is the average induced emf in the coil?

and here's how i tackled it:

E=-N(change in magnetic flux/change in time)

change in magnetic flux = B2A - B1A = A(B2-B1) = 0.058^2pi(.770 - 0.140)
change in time = 0.140 s

N = 1

So I get..

E= 0.0100 V

Apparently that's wrong. Any suggestions ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Moxin
... a magnetic field of 0.770 T pointing up.
... the field is changed to one of 0.240 T pointing down.
... change in magnetic flux = ... 0.058^2pi(.770 - 0.140)
The flux is a vector quantity. Check the B-fields in your equation again.

Any suggestions ?
Draw a picture.

i thought because they were both perpendicular, jus pointing different directions, it wouldn't matter.. guess i was wrong.. I'm really not sure exactly how to proceed now that i know the flux is a vector quantity since angles aren't given..

i'm really not sure exactly how to proceed now that i know the flux is a vector quantity since angles aren't given..
You can pretty much just assume that the initial and final vectors are 180 degrees apart. Other than that, don't worry about angles. I sorry for saying "vector," as it probably made you start thinking about oblique directions, sines and cosines and whatnot. That isn't what I wanted to point out. I was trying to draw your attention to the negative sign that you're missing. The flux is a magnitude and sign (which is a 1-D vector). So, pick a sign for up, assign the opposite sign to down, and put the values into the formula accordingly. Your procedure is basically correct; it's the details that are killing you.

Oh what the hell, here's what I get:

0.0191 V ccw

I just noticed something else in your first post. You squared the diameter, but you should square the radius of the loop.

Last edited:
I was going to rush in here to say Nevermind I figured it out but lol I guess I'm too late, and yeh I finally ended up with 0.0191 as well after figuring out I had to add the fields..Thanks anyways mann

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is a voltage or electric potential difference that is created in a conductor or circuit when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced EMF related to wire coil?

A wire coil is a type of conductor that is often used to create induced EMF. When a wire coil is placed in a magnetic field and the magnetic field changes, it creates a voltage in the wire coil, thus inducing an EMF.

3. What factors affect the amount of induced EMF in a wire coil?

The amount of induced EMF in a wire coil depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the area of the coil.

4. How is induced EMF used in practical applications?

Induced EMF is used in a variety of practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and certain types of sensors.

5. How can induced EMF be minimized or eliminated?

Induced EMF can be minimized or eliminated by using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or ferrite, to shield the conductor or coil from the changing magnetic field. Additionally, using a laminated core or twisting the wire can also help reduce induced EMF.