1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF in a loop

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    Here is a bonus question that I was given yesterday. I am completely at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

A conducting loop with a half circle of radius r=0.20m and 3 straight sections. The half circle lies in a uniform field B that is directed out of the page. The magnitude of B as a function of time is given by B(t) = 4.0t^2 + 2.0t + 3.0 where B is in Teslas and t is in seconds. An ideal battery with EMF E=2.0V is connected to the loop. The loop has a resistance of 2.0 Ohms.
    a) Find the magnitude and direction of the EMF induced in the loop.

b) What is the current in the loop at t = 10 seconds?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2
    just use the equation for induced emf: -dflux/dt.
    flux = B(t)*area of half circle
    add this emf as a function of time to the battery emf of 2.0V. I think you add, at least. they tell you the B field is directed out of the page, but they don't tell you which way the battery is connected... anyway, add 2 + (-dflux/dt) and this is your emf in the loop as a function of time. then use v = ir to calculate i(t).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    But how do I find the direction of the EMF?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?