Calculating Induced EMF in a Moving Square Loop

In summary: Originally posted by discoverer02 In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the emf induced in a square loop of wire moving with constant velocity towards a long straight wire carrying a steady current. The main issue is how to incorporate the velocity into the non-uniform magnetic field. The suggested solution is to substitute x=vt and take the derivative of the magnetic flux with respect to time, but the resulting answer does not match with the one in the book. Further discussion includes the correct way to take the derivative and the importance of the t appearing twice in the equation.
discoverer02
One more problem that's causing me grief:

A square loop of wire, b meters on a side, moves with constant velocity v (m/sec) toward the right in the plane of a long straight wire carrying a steady current I amperes. Calculate the emf induced in the loop when the side of the loop nearest the wire is at distance x meters from the wire.

The treatment of the non-uniform magnetic field with the velocity is what troubles me here.

I know that the magnetic field coming from the wire = uI/(2pir) and that if I integrate [uI/(2pir)]b](dr) from x to x + b then I get the magnetic flux for the stationary loop but this, of course, induces no current. I'm having trouble seeing how to incorporate the velocity into the non-uniform magnetic field.

I tried to substitute r = vt into the equation, and then take the derivative of the magnetic flux with respect to time to get the induced emf, but that didn't agree with the answer in the book..

Any suggestions are be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by discoverer02

The treatment of the non-uniform magnetic field with the velocity is what troubles me here.
yes, as i recall, this calculation is a little messy

I know that the magnetic field coming from the wire = uI/(2pir) and that if I integrate [uI/(2pir)]b](dr) from x to x + b then I get the magnetic flux for the stationary loop but this, of course, induces no current. I'm having trouble seeing how to incorporate the velocity into the non-uniform magnetic field.

I tried to substitute r = vt into the equation
i think you should substitute x=vt, after you have finished integrating. remember, r is just a dummy variable of integration, so it shouldn t really appear in your final answer

, and then take the derivative of the magnetic flux with respect to time to get the induced emf, but that didn't agree with the answer in the book..
that is essentially correct. if you show your calculation in a little more detail, i can be a little more specific in where you went wrong.

The magnetic flux for the loop with no velocity is:

[buI/(2pi)]ln[(x+b)/x]

If I plug x = vt here and take the derivative with respect to time, I end up with:

emf = [buI/(2pi)][vt/(vt+b)? This doesn't agree with the answer in the book.

Originally posted by discoverer02
The magnetic flux for the loop with no velocity is:

[buI/(2pi)]ln[(x+b)/x]

If I plug x = vt here and take the derivative with respect to time, I end up with:

emf = [buI/(2pi)][vt/(vt+b)? This doesn't agree with the answer in the book.

i don t think you took the derivative correctly. remember the t appears twice, once in the numerator, and once in the denominator, and both are inside a logarithm.

You're right. What was I thinking? I'll try it again and see what comes out.

Thanks.

What is induced emf in a square loop?

Induced emf in a square loop refers to the electromotive force generated in the loop when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is described by Faraday's law of induction.

How is induced emf calculated in a square loop?

The induced emf in a square loop can be calculated using the formula E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced emf, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

What factors affect the induced emf in a square loop?

The magnitude of the induced emf in a square loop depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, and the rate at which the magnetic flux changes. Additionally, the orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field and the resistance of the loop can also affect the induced emf.

What is the direction of induced emf in a square loop?

The direction of the induced emf in a square loop is determined by the direction of the change in the magnetic flux. According to Lenz's law, the induced emf will always oppose the change in the magnetic flux that caused it.

What are some applications of induced emf in a square loop?

Induced emf in a square loop has many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and magnetic levitation.