Induced EMF on a moving rod next to a line of current.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a copper rod moving parallel to a long straight wire carrying a current and the calculation of induced emf. The solution involves finding the total magnetic field across the length of the rod and using the area swept out by the rod in time t. There is some confusion about the notation used, but it is eventually resolved. The correct answer is 3.0X10-4V.
grindfreak

Homework Statement

I'm currently reviewing some of the old E&M material that I haven't seen in a while and have gotten stuck on this problem. I'm sure I'm just making a simple mistake but I can't seem to make any headway.

Here's the problem: Figure 35-32 shows a copper rod moving with velocity v parallel to a long straight wire carrying a current i. Calculate the induced emf in the rod, assuming v = 5.0m/s, i = 100A, a = 1cm and b = 20cm. Answer: 3.0X10-4V

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic field of the wire a distance y away is [tex]B = \frac{\mu _{0}i}{2\pi y}[/tex]. Thus the total magnetic field across the length of the rod is [tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{dy}{y} = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}ln\frac{b}{a}[/tex]. Now the induced emf is [tex]\varepsilon = -\frac{d\Phi _{B}}{dt}=-B\frac{dA}{dt}=-B(b-a)\frac{dx}{dt}=-B(b-a)v[/tex]. Then the total equation is [tex]\varepsilon = \frac{-\mu_{0}iv}{2\pi}(b-a)ln\frac{b}{a}[/tex], the only problem being that this is apparently not the correct answer.

kYgIq.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
hi grindfreak! :smile:
grindfreak said:
Now the induced emf is [tex]\varepsilon = -\frac{d\Phi _{B}}{dt}=-B\frac{dA}{dt}=-B(b-a)\frac{dx}{dt}=-B(b-a)v[/tex].

i don't understand this at all :confused:

yes, the area swept out in time t is A = (b-a)vt

but the magnetic flux through that area is ∫ab B(y)vt dy,

ie your previous integral times vt

how did you get that (b-a) factor?
Thus the total magnetic field across the length of the rod is [tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{dy}{y} = \frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi}ln\frac{b}{a}[/tex].

whatever is "total magnetic field"?? :confused:

if you mean the flux, then say so, and don't call it "B" !

your strange nomenclature seems to have confused you

Yes I think your first integral is probably the right way to go with it, the b-a factor is the length of the rod, so that (b-a)*x is the area swept out by the rod in time t. As for total magnetic field, I really should have said magnetic field on the rod by the line of current (sorry if this sounds a bit poorly worded, I've been working all day).

sorry, but you're not making much sense

get some sleep :zzz:, and it'll be clearer in the morning :smile:

I checked my equation again and you're correct, I don't know why I used BA for the magnetic flux.

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is generated when a conductor (such as a rod) moves through a magnetic field. It is caused by the motion of the conductor cutting through the magnetic field lines.

2. How is induced EMF created on a moving rod next to a line of current?

When a rod moves perpendicular to a line of current, the magnetic field created by the current will intersect with the rod and cause a change in the magnetic flux through the rod. This change in flux will then induce an EMF in the rod.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the rod, the length of the rod, and the angle between the rod and the magnetic field lines.

4. How can induced EMF be calculated?

The magnitude of induced EMF can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the rod. This can be expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the rod and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. What are some practical applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has many practical applications, such as in generators, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in various technologies, such as magnetic levitation trains and induction cooktops.