1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF Question

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular wire loop, 24mm by 36mm, is placed in a magnetic field. The flux density perpendicular to the loop is decreasing in magnitude at a rate of 0.2Wb/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]/s. Calculate the induced emf around the loop.

2. Relevant equations
    The problem is I don't know which equation applies to this question. I know that 0.2Wb/[itex]m^{2}[/itex]/s = [itex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/itex] but as far as I was concerned from what I have read so far is that you would need to know the number of loops to get the answer to this question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the answer is 0.17mV. I managed to get this answer by multiplying the dimensions together 24mm x 36mm = 8.64x[itex]10^{-4}[/itex] then multiply this by 0.2. But I don't understand why this this is the method, if someone could explain this for me I would greatly appreciate it :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2
    Let's look at the equation in question: [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\vec{B}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex]d[itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = - N*d[itex]\phi[/itex]/dt

Since you're examining magnitudes, let's forget the minus sign. You have B, and the problem states there is one rectangular loop, so you know N. The induced EMF is defined by d[itex]\phi[/itex]/dt, so all that's missing is ∫dA. That's just A, which you calculated.

That's why the given B multiplied by the A you calculated gives your answer, and why N = 1.

4. Mar 28, 2014 #3
    As always, it's best to start with the general form of the applicable physical principle. In this case, what is the relationship between induced emf and magnetic flux?

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4
    Ah I see where I have gone wrong! Was just a matter of reading the question properly :rolleyes:Thanks a lot guys!

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

?? Don't look at it too long ....

7. Mar 28, 2014 #6
    Edit: Oops! I forgot the d/dt on the L.H.S.!!

8. Mar 28, 2014 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also the N ...

9. Mar 28, 2014 #8
    B is a function of N, so it isn't necessary to include on the L.H.S. It is implied.

10. Mar 28, 2014 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then it's implied in ø on the right-hand side as well, so you'd have to get rid of it there.

N needs to be on the left and right.
    The relation is ∫B.dA = ø, and emf = - N dø/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted