1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Emf

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    A circular loop of wire has a changing magnetic field running through it...however, the magnetic field is not touching the wire; its contained so that it simply runs through the loop without touching the wire. Apparently, there is still an emf through the wire even though the magnetic field is not touching it. Its acceptable when looking at the mathematical equations, but how does it conceptually work: the magnetic field is not even touching the wire, but its still producing an emf. How does that happen??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    Hi Gear, i wonder how do you feel about gravity force. it traverses across a distance also. in fact the other two kind of forces can traverse a distance too... this is an interesting question that i am afraid i have no answer. perhaps it is a part of our space-time fabric? :smile:
  4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    ....interesting point. But still...gravity is a special force...and by what I know now, I've sort of assumed that to receive magnetic influence one should be in contact with the magnetic field, and if you're not in contact you'd be external to the field...or is the situation I presented not even possible and I'm sort of confusing things?
  5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
    i also wonder. some threads before have raised questions about magnetic shielding using a surrounding conductor. i think magnetic field can be shielded out in this way, and the process consume energy. but for gravitational field, we have no luck in doing that. that i cannot tell why. if gravity field could be shielded out similarly, our life would be changed dramatically! we wont need jet engine for our flight any longer! :smile:
  6. Apr 11, 2008 #5
    true, true...gravity is a mysterious force, but if we could manipulate it, that would be a huge leap in civilization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?