Induced EMF from Dropped Steel Beam: Physics Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the induced emf in a 14.2m long steel beam that is dropped from a height of 9.53m by a construction crane. The horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field is 16.4 uT and the beam's long dimension remains in a horizontal plane. The suggested approach is to use Faraday's and Lenz's Laws to calculate the induced emf, with the equation v = d\phi \dt = 14.2 *B dx/dt. The velocity of the beam when it hits the ground can be calculated using a kinematic approach and substituted into the equation to obtain the induced emf.
waywardtigerlily
A 14.2m long steel beam is accidentally dropped by a construction crane from a height of 9.53m. The horizontal component of the EArth's magnetic field over the region is 16.4 uT. What is the induced Emf in the beam just before impact with the earth, assuming its long dimension remains in a horizontal plane, oriented perpendicularly to the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field?

ok, so I know E= chg flux/chg in time

chg flux = Bl(chg x)

but how do i get a time?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try a kinematic approach by solving the position equation for time.

x(t) = x_0+v_0*t+.5gt^2.
x_0 = v_0 = 0
x(t) = .5gt^2 solved for t becomes:
t=sqrt(2*x(t)/g) where x(t) = 9.53 and g = 9.8ms^-2

That doesn't seem to be working, anymore ideas? Am i even going about this problem the right way?

In all honesty I didnt pay much attention during E&M. Sorry. I believe Faraday's and Lenz's Laws are what your looking for though.

[tex] \phi = 14.2* B x [/tex]

Absolute value of emf, [tex] v = d\phi \dt = 14.2 *B dx/dt[/tex]
Induced emf when the pole hit the ground is obtaind by substituting the velocity of the pole when it hits the ground which = sqrt (2gh) where h=9.53m

Note:
Lately I have not been able to view LaTex Formula. I hope the above shows ok in your browser.

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field induces a voltage in a conductor, resulting in a flow of current. This is described by Faraday's Law of Induction.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

The induced EMF in a conductor is calculated by multiplying the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor by the number of turns in the conductor. This can be represented by the equation E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. Can induced EMF occur from a dropped steel beam?

Yes, induced EMF can occur from a dropped steel beam if the beam is made of a conductor and there is a changing magnetic field in the vicinity.

4. What factors affect the induced EMF from a dropped steel beam?

The induced EMF from a dropped steel beam can be affected by factors such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the velocity at which the beam is dropped, and the material and size of the beam.

5. How is induced EMF from a dropped steel beam used in practical applications?

Induced EMF from a dropped steel beam can be used in practical applications such as power generation through the use of electromagnetic generators, induction heating, and electromagnetic braking systems in vehicles.