1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced EMF

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1

WY

Hey
    I'm wondering if someone can help me out with this question.

Q: In order to measure the magnetic fields produced by the power lines carrying 50Hz alternating current, a coil consisting of 1500 turns of area 5cm^2 as constructed. Suppose that there is a single power line carrying a current which has an amplitude of 800A and that the coil is 10m from the wire.
    a) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the coil
    I found this using B =[N(mu_0)I]/2R
    b) What is the magnitude of the induced emf in the coil?

I'm stumped on B :confused: could anyone point me in the right direction? I was using the idea that change in flux over time can be used to find induced emf and that in an alternating curret dI/dt=2*pi*f*I - but the problem is that i don't know where to go from there.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

The magnetic field is not constant.
    Write the equation for the current as a function of time.

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3

WY

thanks for the quick reply - but i don't quite understand how this ties in with finding the emf using the change in flux over the change in time.

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4

WY

oh i see now! sorry - I wasn't thinking properly! Thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?