Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Maps on Homology

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    Hi, All:

I am curious to find examples of maps f:X-->X ; X an n-dimensional manifold

that induce isomorphisms on , say, the first k<n homology groups, but not

so on the remaining n-k groups. I can see if we had maps g:X-->Y, we could start

with Y=X, let f be an automorphism, and then cap some boundaries of X, i.e., all j-

boundaries for j>k , but not so for maps f:X-->X . Any Ideas?

Thanks.

others, so that the induced maps on H_k(X) are not isomorphsims

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2
    Hint: "skeleton".

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Tinyboss:

I guess you're suggesting some obstruction theory issues; spin structure, etc?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much in this area from a geometric

perspective; most of the info nowadays seems to be done in terms of abstract

obstruction theory, spin structures, etc. Still, I ordered Steenrod's book on the

geometry of bundles from the library recently. Is this what you were referring to?

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take any map of degree higher than one from a sphere to itself. Using Cartesian products of spheres with other manifolds I think you should be able to get all of the examples except iso up to dimension n-1 and not iso in the top dimension. Cartesian product of spheres with tori should do it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook