Induced Metric on Surface t=const

So the induced metric is ##\gamma = R^2(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\phi^2)##.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced metric on a spacelike hypersurface, which is defined as the metric on the hypersurface obtained from the original metric in the spacetime. The attempt at a solution is based on the incorrect differentiation of the embedding map, and a simple example of computing the induced metric on a 2-sphere is provided to clarify the concept. The result of the calculation is that the induced metric on the 2-sphere is given by ##\gamma = R^2(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\
Xander314

Homework Statement

Let [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] be a static metric, [itex]\partial_t g_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] where t is coordinate time. Show that the metric induced on a spacelike hypersurface [itex]t=\textrm{const}[/itex] is given by
[tex]
\gamma_{ij} = g_{ij} - \frac{g_{ti} g_{tj}}{g_{tt}} .
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Let [itex]y^i[/itex] be the coordinates on the hypersurface and [itex]x^\mu[/itex] the spacetime coordinates. The induced metric on a generic hypersurface defined by the embedding [itex]x^\mu = X^\mu(y^i)[/itex] is given by
[tex]
\gamma_{ij} = g_{\mu\nu} \partial_i X^\mu \partial_j X^\nu .
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't see how this can work. Since it is a hypersurface of constant coordinate time, the embedding is given by [itex]X^\mu = (t_0, X^i)[/itex] so that [itex]\partial_i X^\mu = (0,\partial_i X^j)[/itex]. Then it immediately follows that
[tex]
\gamma_{ij} = g_{kl} \partial_i X^k \partial_j X^l .
[/tex]
There are no [itex]g_{ti}[/itex] cross terms in my answer, nor is it clear to me that [itex]\partial_i X^k=\delta_i{}^k[/itex]. What am I doing wrong?

Xander314 said:
What am I doing wrong?

The definition of the induced metric is ##\gamma_{ab} = g_{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial Y^a}\frac{\partial x^{\nu}}{\partial Y^b}## where ##x^{\mu}## are coordinates on space-time and ##Y^a## are coordinates on the hypersurface.
The embedding is ##Y^a = Y^a(x^{\mu})##. So you are doing the differentiation incorrectly.

Here is a very simple example to get you started. Let's compute the induced metric on a 2-sphere in ##\mathbb{R}^3##. The coordinates on the 2-sphere are ##(\theta,\phi)## and the embedding map is ##x = R\sin\theta\cos\phi, y = R\sin\theta\sin\phi, z = R\cos\theta##. Hence [tex]\gamma_{\theta\theta} = g_{xx}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} + g_{yy}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta} + g_{zz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta} = R^2 \cos^2\theta \cos^2\phi + R^2 \cos^2\theta \sin^2\phi + R^2 \cos^2\theta = R^2[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_{\phi\phi} = g_{xx}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi} + g_{yy}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \phi} + g_{zz}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \phi} = R^2 \sin^2\theta \sin^2 \phi + R^2 \sin^2\theta\cos^2 \phi = R^2 \sin^2 \theta[/tex] A similar calculation shows that ##\gamma_{\theta\phi} = 0##.

Likes micromass

What is the "Induced Metric on Surface t=const"?

The "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" refers to the metric that is induced on a surface when it is embedded into a higher-dimensional space and its coordinates are kept constant along a specific direction, typically the time direction (t=const). In simpler terms, it is the metric that describes the intrinsic geometry of a surface when it is viewed from a specific perspective.

How is the "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" calculated?

The "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" is calculated by taking the dot product of the tangent vectors to the surface in the direction of t=const. This dot product represents the metric coefficients that define the geometry of the surface in that direction.

Why is the "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" important in physics?

The "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" is important in physics because it allows us to describe the geometry of a surface in a specific direction, which is crucial in many physical theories. For example, in general relativity, the induced metric on a spacelike surface is used to calculate the gravitational effects of matter on the surface.

What is the difference between the "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" and the intrinsic metric of a surface?

The "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" and the intrinsic metric of a surface are essentially the same concept. The only difference is that the induced metric is calculated by keeping the coordinates along a certain direction constant, while the intrinsic metric is calculated by considering all possible directions on the surface.

How is the "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" related to Riemannian geometry?

The "Induced Metric on Surface t=const" is a fundamental concept in Riemannian geometry, which is the mathematical framework used to study the geometry of curved surfaces. It is used to define the metric tensor, which is a key component in Riemannian geometry and plays a central role in describing the curvature of a surface.