Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced metrics

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    So, by accident, while deriving the induced metric for a sphere in 3 dimensions I realized that the transpose of the jacobi matrix multiplied by the jacobi matrix (considering it as 3 row/column vectors)will work out the induced metric. Why is it that i≠j ends up being superfluous. One would have X=a 2-sphere in parameterized coordinates, and then g_ij= <X_;i,X_;j>. Thus one would compute <X_;1,X_;2> and the same for 2,3. Is this because the embedded manifold is an immersion, or is there something else? Thanks for any elucidation and best.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try a different parametrization and see what happens:

[tex]\begin{align}x &= \sin \theta \cos (\phi + \theta), \\ y &= \sin \theta \sin (\phi + \theta), \\ z &= \cos \theta.\end{align}[/tex]

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3
    Does that, in fact, parameterize a sphere? It's not obvious to me. I included an r term in the coordinates since I want it in general, not the only the unit case. The induced metric was:
    $$
    \left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & r^2 sin^2\theta & r^2 sin^2\theta \\
    0 & r^2 sin^2\theta & r^2 sin^2\theta
    \end{array}
    \right)
    $$

I haven't had time to write it out again, so I could have made a mistake, but this looks bad to me. The matrix is singular, and thus it can't be a metric, correct? Assuming this is correct, I don't see how the Jacobian will account for i ≠ j. I'll work through it again. Thanks

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The term in the center of your matrix is wrong.

6. Dec 12, 2013 #5
    Okay, so I went through it again:

let X be the 2 sphere with your suggested parameterization

$$
    X_{;\theta} = \left(
    \begin{array}{c} x^1 = rcos\theta cos \left(\phi + \theta \right) - rsin \theta sin \left(\phi + \theta \right) \\
    x^2 = rcos \theta sin \left( \phi + \theta \right) + rsin\theta cos \left(\phi + \theta \right) \\
    x^3 = -rsin\theta
    \end{array}
    \right)
    $$

When I dot that with itself I got the same answer again. Mathematica, with a bit of tinkering, gave me

$$ r^2 (Cos(\phi)^2 + Cos(2 \theta + \phi)^2 + sin(\theta)^2) $$

What should g_22 be?

7. Dec 12, 2013 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should end up with

[tex]r^2 (1 + \sin^2 \theta)[/tex]

Check your algebra again. You shouldn't really need Mathematica, it's pretty easy to do.

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7
    Yeah, I combined the trig terms into a 0 instead of a 1, so that's it. I see why it works for all cases now, in hindsight it's obvious. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook