Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Induced radiation

1. May 31, 2017 #1
    Hello! How can ordinary material become radioactive, if exposed to radioactive sources? I read that Marie Curie's notes are still radioactive and I am not sure I understand how. As far as I know gamma and X-rays can excite or ionize an atom or excite a nucleus. How does this make the radiated material to become radioactive?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. May 31, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Probably from direct contamination, pieces of radioactive samples stuck to the notes.
    Induced radioactivity is much weaker.

5. May 31, 2017 #4
    Hi,
    mfb is right, Marie Curie notes are radioactive because of contamination and not due to induced activity. To obtain induced activity, neutrons or particles (e.g. ions) of high energy are required. It is possible to activate with high-energy photons (threshold effect)
    PSR

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Legend has it that Marie Curie carried a sample of Ra in her pocket. It's no surprise that she got cancer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted