1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced tension magnetic field (B)

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the strength of the magnetic field, B, the time, Delta t, a circle formed ring with the diameter, d. I should calculate the induced tension, when the surface is

(a) parallel to the B field
    (b) 50 degrees on the B field

Need help to solve it (symbolic if possible).

2. Relevant equations
    I thought of something like:
    [latex] $U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d}$ [/latex],
    but I don't have "I". And there are no angles there. Please tell me how to solve it symbolic.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please look the (2).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Basip, welcome (back) to PF :smile: !

Could you please re-read your posting and complete the problem statement ? Perhaps even add a little drawing ? It is now rather unclear what the exercise wants you to do. It's fine if you mention ##\Delta t##, but what it its role in this problem ?

Also all and any symbols you want to use in part 3 need clarification. ##U_H## is probably the induced emf ? and ##A_H## an area ? Don't let us guess unnecessarily !

And you can do displayed equations with $## ##$U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} $## ##$ to get $$ U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} $$ and in-line equations with ##\#\# ##U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d}##\#\# ## to get things like ##U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} ##

However, your equation doesn't make much sense to me. You sure it fits in the problem context ? Could it be you need something else ?

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3
    Dear BvU!

Thank you for your help so far. I don't know how to edit my question, so I reply here.

Variables to play with
    $$B=0.58T$$
    $$ \Delta t=0.10s$$
    $$d=0.105m$$

Question formulation
    In a magnetic field, B, at the time, ## \Delta t ##, is the surface of a circular conductor loop,d, halved. Calculate the tension, when the surface
    1. is perpendicular to B
    2. has an angular of ##30^\circ## with B
    3. is parallel to B
    How I think it could be solved
    The magnetic flux
    $$\Phi_B = \int_A \vec B d \vec A$$,
    where ##\Phi_B## is the magnetic flux, ##B## is the magnitude of the magnetic field and ##A=\pi r^2## is the areal.

The induction tension
    $$U_i = \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} = \frac{\int_A \vec B d \vec A}{dt}$$,
    where ##U_i## is the induction tension.

1. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(90^\circ) A B}{dt}##
    2. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(30^\circ) A B}{dt}##
    3. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(180^\circ) A B}{dt}##
    Is that correct? Could it be solved this way?

Questions
    Question 1
    Can I write it this way?
    $$\Phi_B = \int_A \vec B d \vec A.$$
    I think it looks wrong, because we have two integrals on the right side and a number on the left side. How could I write it so it doesn't look wrong? I think there are more than one way to write it correct, so please write more than one solution. I think you could use the cross product sign?

Question 2
    But now I have solved it the Gaußian way(?). Could I solve it Lorentzian too? I thought of using ##F=q\,\vec v \times \vec B##. The firs formular I suggested is, I think, wrong (it was about the Hall Effect).

Yours Faitfully,
    and thank you very much in advance!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Mar 7, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dear Basip,
    a quick answer I may have to correct when I'm more awake:
    My compliments for your now much clearer post. You have the given variables, the right equation and the right plan to solve. So go ahead !

As to your questions: 1. yes, it is a bit strange, but correct. Check Faraday's law. That ##\vec {dA}## is a surface area .
    2. I wouldn't consider this the gaussian way. That has to do with divergence. But in both cases a surface integral is needed.
    There is an approach based on the Lorentz force, I think, but I can't investigate now. Check further down in the Faraday link. But it involves more math.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. Mar 9, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything has fallen into place ? And all done ? Or are there further questions ?

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Thank you for your help :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted