1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Voltages and Inductance

1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    In the figure attached below, the rolling axle, 1.50 m long, is pushed along horizontal rails at a constant speed u = 3.00 m/s. A resistor R= 0.400 Ω is connected to the rails at points a and b, directly opposite each other. (The wheels make good electrical contact with the rails, and so the axle, rails, and R form a closed-loop circuit. The only significant resistance in the circuit is R.) There is a uniform magnetic field B= 0.0800 T vertically downward.

a)Find the induced current I in the resistor.
    b)What horizontal force F is required to keep the axle rolling at constant speed?
    c)Which end of the resistor, a or b, is at the higher electric potential?
    d)After the axle rolls past the resistor, does the current in R reverse direction?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2004 #2
    First use Faraday's law E=-N d(BA)/dx to find the voltage, and just take into consideration that B=constant. Therefore, E=-N Bd(A)/dx and also A=l(variable). Then use ohms law (E=iR) and these three other equations (F=iL x B, P=Fu and P=i^2R). I'm sorry I've almost forgot N=1.

4. Jul 7, 2004 #3
    I apologize to everybody for writing E=-Nd(BA)/dx. Instead, I've should written
    E=-Nd(BA)/dt and because of that I;m going to solve a).
    E=-1(B)d(A)/dt=-B(l)dx/dt=-B(l)(u)=-B*L*u and from ohms law i=-(B*L*u)/R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?