Inducing EMF by changing area

• Thread starter accountdracula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Emf
In summary, the problem involves finding the terminal velocity of a metal ring dropped through a magnetic field, with given values for mass, magnetic flux density, radius, and resistance. The solution involves equating the magnetic force to the weight at terminal velocity, and using the equations for electromagnetic force and Ohm's law to solve for the velocity. The area of the ring's movement is assumed to be perpendicular to the magnetic field, which is also assumed to be uniform. The meaning of "self-parallel within the region of interest" is unclear.
accountdracula

Homework Statement

I'm answering a question which describes a situation in which a metal ring is dropped through a magnetic field such that, when it falls, its area is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
I need to find its terminal velocity given:
Mass : 2.66 x 10-4 kg
Magnetic flux density : 2.00 T
Radius : 2.00 cm
Resistance : 2.48 m(ohms)

Homework Equations

Emf = dBA/dt
V = IR
F = BILsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

At terminal velocity, the magnetic force as a result of the ring's current must equal its weight:

mg = BIL

I'm confused about how to introduce v into the equation E.m.f = dBA/dt.
My thoughts were as follows:

If A is the area through which the ring moves in time dt then
A = pi r2vdt

e.m.f = (dBpi r2vdt)/dt
e.m.f = dBpi r2v

Dividing both sides by R :

I = (dBpi r2)/ R
I would then set this equal to mg / BL to find v.
However, in previous questions 'L' has always been a straight wire. Would you use the diameter of this metal ring or its circumference? My feeling is the circumference but I'm not 100% sure.
Also, is the way I've approached this question right?

Physics news on Phys.org
accountdracula said:
when it falls, its area is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
What does this mean? Do you mean that the disc that has the ring as boundary has a normal that is perpendicular to the mag field lines?

Is the magnetic field uniformly linear and self-parallel within the region of interest?

andrewkirk said:
What does this mean? Do you mean that the disc that has the ring as boundary has a normal that is perpendicular to the mag field lines?

Is the magnetic field uniformly linear and self-parallel within the region of interest?

I mean the plane of the area of the metal ring is perpendicular to the plane of the magnetic field lines. The magnetic field is uniform. I don't have a clue what self parallel within the region of interest means.

Bump

1. How does changing the area of a loop induce EMF?

When a loop of wire is moved in a magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the loop changes. This change in flux induces an electromotive force, or EMF, in the wire. The magnitude of this induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux, which is affected by the area of the loop.

2. Does increasing the area of a loop always increase the induced EMF?

Yes, increasing the area of a loop will generally result in a larger induced EMF. This is because a larger area means a larger magnetic flux through the loop, leading to a greater rate of change and a stronger induced EMF.

3. Can changing the area of a loop affect the polarity of the induced EMF?

Yes, changing the area of a loop can change the polarity of the induced EMF. This is because the direction of the induced EMF depends on the direction of the change in magnetic flux, which can be affected by the orientation of the loop's area in the magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of the loop impact the induced EMF?

The shape of the loop can affect the induced EMF in several ways. First, a loop with a larger perimeter will generally have a larger induced EMF because it can enclose more magnetic flux. Additionally, the orientation of the loop's shape in the magnetic field can impact the direction and magnitude of the induced EMF.

5. Is the induced EMF affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field does impact the induced EMF. A stronger magnetic field can result in a larger change in magnetic flux, leading to a stronger induced EMF. However, the rate of change of magnetic flux also depends on the speed at which the loop is moving, so the strength of the magnetic field is not the only factor affecting the induced EMF.