1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inducing EMF by changing area

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm answering a question which describes a situation in which a metal ring is dropped through a magnetic field such that, when it falls, its area is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
    I need to find its terminal velocity given:
    Mass : 2.66 x 10-4 kg
    Magnetic flux density : 2.00 T
    Radius : 2.00 cm
    Resistance : 2.48 m(ohms)

2. Relevant equations
    Emf = dBA/dt
    V = IR
    F = BILsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

At terminal velocity, the magnetic force as a result of the ring's current must equal its weight:

mg = BIL

I'm confused about how to introduce v into the equation E.m.f = dBA/dt.
    My thoughts were as follows:

If A is the area through which the ring moves in time dt then
    A = pi r2vdt

e.m.f = (dBpi r2vdt)/dt
    e.m.f = dBpi r2v

Dividing both sides by R :

I = (dBpi r2)/ R
    I would then set this equal to mg / BL to find v.
    However, in previous questions 'L' has always been a straight wire. Would you use the diameter of this metal ring or its circumference? My feeling is the circumference but I'm not 100% sure.
    Also, is the way I've approached this question right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does this mean? Do you mean that the disc that has the ring as boundary has a normal that is perpendicular to the mag field lines?

Is the magnetic field uniformly linear and self-parallel within the region of interest?

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    I mean the plane of the area of the metal ring is perpendicular to the plane of the magnetic field lines. The magnetic field is uniform. I don't have a clue what self parallel within the region of interest means.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted