1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance diagram help

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    I have a few statements that I have to discern whether they are true or false and Im down to my last guess and am completely stumped.

1. No EMF will be generated by a coil rotating inside a magnetic field if the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the field.

2. In an electrical generator, the generated peak voltage is proportional to the angular velocity of the coil in the field.

3. For a loop moving inside of a constant magnetic field, the EMF is proportional to its velocity.

4. EMF can be generated by rotating a coil inside of a magnetic field, which increases with time.

Originally I thought 1 and 2 were false and 3 and 4 were true, but I was wrong. Can anyone figure this out?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Re: Inductance

Okay so lets try work through these. To do these, we are going to need to be familiar with Faraday's Law of Induction, so read up in your textbook about that first! Just so we know, reply back here exactly why Faraday's Law is.

1. Try visualize it, draw a diagram, or put your hands in the place of some of the objects. Faraday's Law says an EMF is induced if there is a change in flux through the coil, ie if there is a change in the number of flux lines going through the coil. If the coil rotates on an axis perpendicular to the field, can you see if there is going to be more or less flux when the coil is completely vertical than when it's horizontal?

2. Well, what creates the voltage in a generator? Does the angular velocity of the coil in the field change this?

3. This one should really be more specific, the answer depends on how the loop "moves" in the field. Can you see why?

4. This statement follows quite simply from the Principle of Induction, though the "which increases with time" tacked on the end doesn't seem to make sense. If it means the strength of the field is increasing with time, it adds a new element to the answer but doesn't change the overall result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook