Inductance in a magnetic circuit

In summary, the question asks for clarification on which permeability and dimensions to use for calculating inductance in a magnetic circuit with a coil wrapped around the central "leg" of the core. The solution involves considering the relative permeabilities of the core material and air, as well as using the formula L = Ni/ψ to relate reluctance to inductance. The number of turns and current are also necessary for calculation.
kevinb

Homework Statement

I have a magnetic circuit with a coil wrapped around the centre "leg" of the core as follows.
0WZLM.jpg

I have been given average lengths, areas and permeabilities for the three legs and the airgap.

Homework Equations

L = (N^2*µ*A)/l

The Attempt at a Solution

For the core material permeability(µ) do I specifically use the permeability of the part of the core the coil is wrapped around? (As mentioned, in this example I was given different permeability for the different "legs")

Similarly for the coil area(A) and average coil length(l), if these are not specified separately, do I use the dimensions of the centre leg?

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinb said:

Homework Statement

I have a magnetic circuit with a coil wrapped around the centre "leg" of the core as follows.
0WZLM.jpg

I have been given average lengths, areas and permeabilities for the three legs and the airgap.

Homework Equations

L = (N^2*µ*A)/l

The Attempt at a Solution

For the core material permeability(µ) do I specifically use the permeability of the part of the core the coil is wrapped around? (As mentioned, in this example I was given different permeability for the different "legs")

Similarly for the coil area(A) and average coil length(l), if these are not specified separately, do I use the dimensions of the centre leg?

First, what are the relative permeabilities of the core material vs. that of air? What great simplification does that allow you to make? (If your teacher really wants you to take all permemabilities into account, this simplification is impossible but what follows is applicable nonetheless).

Then, you need to look at this as a magnetic circuit. Meaning flux, reluctance, magnetic potential difference. Relation of reluctance to permeability and the geometry? The basic definition of inductance is L = Ni/ψ where ψ = magnetic flux. What simple formula follows from that, relating reluctance to inductance in your situation?

PS - you obviously also need the number of turns.

Many thanks for your reply. I have been given the number if turns and the current that is flowing. In an earlier question I am given the permeabilities so can work out flux. Now with the correct formula I can would out inductance.

1. What is inductance in a magnetic circuit?

Inductance in a magnetic circuit is a measure of the ability of a material to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in Henrys (H).

2. How is inductance calculated in a magnetic circuit?

Inductance can be calculated using the formula L = N^2 * μ * A / l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core.

3. What factors affect inductance in a magnetic circuit?

Inductance is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the permeability of the material, the cross-sectional area of the core, and the length of the core. It is also affected by the presence of nearby conductors and the frequency of the current passing through the circuit.

4. How does inductance impact the performance of a magnetic circuit?

Inductance plays a crucial role in the performance of a magnetic circuit. It affects the amount of energy that can be stored in the circuit, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate at which the magnetic field can change. It also affects the impedance of the circuit and can cause voltage spikes and delays in current flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of inductance in a magnetic circuit?

Inductance in a magnetic circuit is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in transformers, motors, generators, inductors, and electromagnets. It is also used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted frequencies and in wireless charging systems.