1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance & magnetic flux problem - please help

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Inductance & magnetic flux problem -- please help

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnetic field of a place on Earth has strength 55 microTesla and is tilted 60 degrees below horizontal. A 200 turn coil with diameter 4cm and resistance 2 ohms is connected to a 1 microFarad capacitor. The coil is held in a horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. Then quickly the coil is rotated 180 degrees. Afterwards, what is the voltage on the capacitor?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the flux through the coil initially:

= pi* (.02)^2 * (5.5e-5) * cos (30) * 200 = 1.2 e -5 Wb

But I really don't understand what happens when the capacitor discharges. Also, how does just flipping the loop over will change the flux to induce a current? It seems to me that the angle doesn't change or anything. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    Re: Inductance & magnetic flux problem -- please help

Any ideas? This is really bugging me that I don't understand this very well.

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    Re: Inductance & magnetic flux problem -- please help

hmmm... ok
    So I guessed that the flux would be the same when flipped only with the opposite sign:

(1.2e-5)--(1.2e-5) = change in flux = 2.4 e-5 Wb

(2.4e-5)/dt = EMF

(2.4e-5)/(2ohm)dt = dq/dt

dq= 1.2 e-5 C = (1e-6F)Vc
    Vc = 12 V

I do have another question though. The capacitor would discharge again after being rotated, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?