1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of a coil

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How will a coil's self inductance change if you unwind it and then re-wind half of the length of wire into a coil with the same diameter but with half of the number of turns?

The answer is that it will decrease by 1/4, but I don't understand why it isn't 1/2 instead.

2. Relevant equations

phi (magnetic flux) = LI (where L is inductance, I is current)
    n = N/l where "l" is length
    B = mew naught * n * I

3. The attempt at a solution

original: L = phi/I = (NBAcostheta) / I = (N* mew naught *n*I*costheta) / I
    Now the L with the proposed change: L' = (N/2)* mew naught * ((N/2) / (l/2))* costheta = 1/2 L

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    I think it's because you have confused the length of the solenoid, l, with the length of the wire, 2*pi*R*l, where R is the radius of the coil. The length of the solenoid hasn't changed, only the number of turns per unit length (and the wire's length) have dropped.

Edit:Woopsey, no solenoid mentioned, sorry I've been doing a lot of these and went tunnel vision. Your right the length is halved. Where does your N come from in the NBAcostheta/I?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?