1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of a solenoid

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    I have to make a solenoid to operate some device. Can anybody let me know what formula to use to calculate number of turns for a solenoid wound on some metal. I also want to calculate the force.

Does this formula works

B = uourNI/L
    &
    F = ILB

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2
    what you are using is for long distance solenoid

I have seen one more formula

B=UoUrNI(CosPhi1-Cosphi2)/2l

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    Here is the procedure that I have used to find out the DC solenoid

v = IR where R is the Dc resistance of solenoid and V is the applied voltage
    R = V/I
    from here I can find out the wire lenght, L from wire table

now

F = ILB where F is the weight that solenoid can raise without letting it to fall and L is length of solenoid
    or
    B = F/IL from here I can calculate B

also B = uourNI/L

or N = BL/uourI from here I can calculate number of turns

and inductance = uourN2A/L where A is the cross section area.

The problem is that if we also consider the inner and outer dia of solenoid and we use some metal material then this crosssection area A correspond to which area. also tell me if F= ILB is the right equation if I want to see how much weight in newton the solenoid can raise if I insert some steel etc object inside solenoid and attach weight F = mg to it and it does not fall down.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?