What is the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid?

In summary: Then such a close match between measured/calculated and expected value I would consider a luck (even in a carefully arranged experiment). Also have on mind the difference between permeability and apparent permeability:Then such a close match between measured/calculated and expected value I would consider a luck (even in a carefully arranged experiment). Also have on mind the difference between permeability and apparent permeability:
Mason98
TL;DR Summary
Hello, I was wondering how to tranpose this equation? I am sure that i'm doing it correctly but I am getting a wrong answer. Any help will be much appreciated
So the equation is
L=μoμrN^2A/l

I am wanting to make μr the subject and I think this is how i do it?

μr = L*l/μoN^2A

However when I type in this equation i am expecting to get about 200 for the relative permeability of iron. However, i am getting like 9x10-3 which is nowhere near 200.
For example here are my figures
μo = 4 * pi * 10-7
N^2 = 105^2
A = 0.00196
L= 57 mHenrys
l= 0.095

I assume to get 200 for relative permeability as when i use the first equation using 200 I get that L is 57 mH but when i try tranpose and find μr I don't get 200.

If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it thank you :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I plug the values into your equation I get essentially 200 for μr (well, 199.4). I suggest that you check your finger work on your calculator keypad :smile:

• Haha
Likes Mason98, Tom.G, DaveE and 1 other person
gneill said:
I suggest that you check your finger work on your calculator keypad
Specifically, you forgot to put parenthesis "()" around the denominator.

Cheers,
Tom

Just out of curiosity: why are you expecting to get μr=200 for your piece of iron?

zoki85 said:
Just out of curiosity: why are you expecting to get μr=200 for your piece of iron?
gneill said:
When I plug the values into your equation I get essentially 200 for μr (well, 199.4). I suggest that you check your finger work on your calculator keypad :smile:
Sorted now thanks, was typing it in wrong. lol

zoki85 said:
The Iron I've used in a lab experiment is supposed to be 200 so that's why i wanted to calculate it to confirm

Mason98 said:
The Iron I've used in a lab experiment is supposed to be 200 so that's why i wanted to calculate it to confirm
Then such a close match between measured/calculated and expected value I would consider a luck (even in a carefully arranged experiment). Also have on mind the difference between permeability and apparent permeability:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid#Quantitative_description

What is the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid?

The relative permeability of iron in a solenoid refers to the degree to which iron can be magnetized when placed in a magnetic field created by a solenoid. It is a measure of how easily magnetic flux can pass through iron compared to a vacuum.

How is the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid measured?

The relative permeability of iron in a solenoid is typically measured using a permeameter, which is a device that measures the magnetic flux density inside a material. The ratio of the flux density in the iron to the flux density in a vacuum is then calculated to determine the relative permeability.

What factors can affect the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid?

The relative permeability of iron in a solenoid can be affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the temperature of the iron, and the composition and purity of the iron. Additionally, the shape and size of the solenoid can also impact the relative permeability.

What is the significance of the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid?

The relative permeability of iron in a solenoid is important in the design and functioning of electromagnetic devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. It also plays a crucial role in the efficiency of these devices, as higher relative permeability means a stronger magnetic field and therefore more efficient operation.

How does the Relative Permeability of Iron in a Solenoid compare to other materials?

Iron has a relatively high relative permeability compared to other materials, such as air or copper. This makes it a popular choice for use in solenoids and other electromagnetic devices. However, some materials, such as nickel or cobalt, have even higher relative permeability than iron, making them more suitable for certain applications.