1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance of a triaxial cable

1. Dec 31, 2003 #1
    Hello, I'm a new member of the forum.

Are there any good sources of information available that contain (and explain) inductance calculations for various symmetrical (but unconventional) geometries? I'm interested in a triaxial conductor that is similar to a coax in geometric make-up, but there are three concentric cylindrical conductors instead of two. I know that triaxial cables exist (mostly for small signal high frequency apps), but I cannot find any theory about them in books or journals. If someone in this forum can help me or point me in the right direction, I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks,

Marcus

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2004 #2
    For a start, the inductance on the innermost conductor should not change in triax, so the reference books will help you there - just treat it like coax.

Typically, the outermost conductor is grounded to act as a shield. The presence of the ground surrounding the second conductor will affect its inductance. I've never seen such a calculation and I never seemed to need know this when I've used triax. What mattered to me was the impedance between the innermost & second conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?