Calculate Inductance of Inductor: 100v/20A RMS

In summary, we have a non-inductive resistor that passes 20A rms when connected to a 100V rms supply. When connected in series with a pure inductor across a 230V supply, the combination draws a current of 15A. The impedance of the circuit is calculated to be 15.3 ohms. To find the inductance of the inductor, we can use the formula X_L = 2(pi)fL, where X_L is the reactance and f is the frequency. With a frequency of 50Hz and a reactance of 14.45 ohms, we can solve for L to be 0.0458H.
johnboy14

Homework Statement

a non inductive resistor passes a current of 20A rms, when connected to a 100v rms supply (50HZ). When connect in series with a pure inductor across a 230v supply the combination draws a current of 15A calculate impedance of the circuit, inductance of the inductor

The Attempt at a Solution

R = 100v/20A = 5 ohms

Z = V/I

Z = 230/15 = 15.3

z = square root R^2 + X^2 Find X^2

Z^2 - R^2 = X^2

SRoot 15.3^2 - 5^2 = 14.45 ohms

From what I found how do I find the inductance of the inductor. I only know one way using flux density but there is no data given on this in the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the formula for reactance is Xl = 2(pi) f L
How do I find L that's the just of what I want.

johnboy14 said:
I know that the formula for reactance is Xl = 2(pi) f L
How do I find L that's the just of what I want.

You know that [tex]X_L = 14.45\Omega[/tex] anf f = 50Hz.

Do yous get 21.7 for L

johnboy14 said:
Do yous get 21.7 for L

I found 0.0458H

SGT said:
I found 0.0458H

How did you get that

johnboy14 said:
How did you get that

[tex]L=\frac{X_L}{2\pi\,50}=\frac{14.45}{314.16}=0.0458H[/tex]

I see I made a substitution mistake in my forumla I devided by XL thanks for the help

1. How do I calculate the inductance of an inductor given a voltage and current?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = V/I, where L is the inductance in henries (H), V is the voltage in volts (V), and I is the current in amperes (A). So, in this case, the inductance would be 100V / 20A = 5H.

2. What is the significance of using RMS values in the calculation?

RMS (root mean square) values are used to represent the effective or average values of an alternating current (AC) or voltage. In this case, the 100V/20A RMS values indicate that the inductor is operating at an average voltage of 100V and an average current of 20A.

3. How does the inductance of an inductor affect its performance?

Inductance is a measure of an inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. A higher inductance means that the inductor can store more energy, which can be useful in applications such as filtering or energy storage.

4. Can the inductance of an inductor change over time?

Yes, the inductance of an inductor can change over time due to factors such as temperature, magnetic saturation, and mechanical stress. It is important to consider these factors when designing and using inductors.

5. Is there a way to calculate the inductance of an inductor without knowing the voltage and current?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating inductance, such as using the inductor's physical dimensions and material properties. However, knowing the voltage and current is the most common and straightforward way to calculate inductance.