Inductance of transmission lines in vacuum

In summary, the conversation is about whether a transmission line can have inductance in a vacuum. The answer is yes, as inductance is not affected by the medium it is in. The conversation also briefly touches on the limitations of displaying diagrams and pictures in messages, which is due to bandwidth and moderation concerns. However, the response notes that other physics forums are able to handle these issues.
genhiit
hello frnds, I am in jeopardu regarding d thing ,so u gyz uot there pleeze tell me can we have a inductance of a transmission line placed in vaccum?
hope u gyz will pull me outta this soup.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yoiks. Looks like you got a little trouble with your keyboard there, scout. To answer your question (or what I think your question is) -- Yes, transmission lines have inductance and capacitance in any medium, including a vacuum.

Why do you ask? (and please try to type a little better...?)

..and on a related topic, why can't you display diagrams or pictures directly in a message, but you can have letters 30 feet tall? How useful is that?

Nam_Sapper said:
..and on a related topic, why can't you display diagrams or pictures directly in a message, but you can have letters 30 feet tall? How useful is that?

Because the size of the font does not alter the bandwidth needed to transmit a message while a photograph will. Additionally, allowing photos means you must moderate all photos(lots of work) or you must put up with the occasional naughty picture(not good when young ppl are around or foreign ntls who do not approve of such images frequent a site).

There are probably other reasons but I'd bet dollars-to-donuts the above are big players.

genhiit said:
hello frnds, I am in jeopardu regarding d thing ,so u gyz uot there pleeze tell me can we have a inductance of a transmission line placed in vaccum?

Yes. Inducatnce does not come frrom the air and is not significantly
altered by it.

Because the size of the font does not alter the bandwidth needed to transmit a message while a photograph will. Additionally, allowing photos means you must moderate all photos(lots of work) or you must put up with the occasional naughty picture(not good when young ppl are around or foreign ntls who do not approve of such images frequent a site).
Not a good enough reason. All other physics forums manage to handle these problems fine.

hi

genhiit said:

..yes, inductance doesn't matter whether it is in a vacuum or not, as long as there is a current that will pass inductance is there

1. What is the definition of inductance in transmission lines in vacuum?

Inductance in transmission lines in vacuum is a measure of the ability of the line to store energy in the form of a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. It is typically measured in units of henries (H).

2. How is inductance calculated in transmission lines in vacuum?

The inductance of a transmission line in vacuum can be calculated using the formula L = μ0 * r * ln(b/a), where L is the inductance, μ0 is the permeability of free space, r is the radius of the line, b is the outer radius of the line, and a is the inner radius of the line.

3. What factors affect the inductance of transmission lines in vacuum?

The inductance of transmission lines in vacuum is affected by the shape and size of the line, the material it is made of, and the distance between the conductors. It also depends on the frequency and the length of the line.

4. Why is inductance important in transmission lines in vacuum?

Inductance is important in transmission lines in vacuum because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored in the line. This affects the efficiency and performance of the line in terms of power transmission and signal quality.

5. How can the inductance of transmission lines in vacuum be controlled?

The inductance of transmission lines in vacuum can be controlled by altering the physical characteristics of the line, such as its shape and size. It can also be adjusted by using materials with different permeability or by adding inductors or capacitors to the line.