Solve Inductance Problem: 0.45 H, 120 V, 60 Hz

In summary, the conversation discusses an inductor with an inductance of 0.45 H and internal resistance of 2.5 Ω. The question is asked about the current (rms) through the inductor when connected to a 120-V (rms) source at 60 Hz. The equations XL=2pi*f*L and V=IZ are mentioned, as well as the incorrect use of V=IR. The correct answer is found to be 0.7 A using complex number arithmetic.
dwn

Homework Statement

An inductor has an inductance of 0.45 H and internal resistance of 2.5 . If the H
inductor is connected to a 120-V (rms) source at 60 Hz, what is the current (rms) through
it?

Homework Equations

XL=2pi*f*L
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any idea and my brain is wrecked! I'm having a difficult time finding this bridge.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want to use V=IR, that doesn't take into account the reactance of your inductor. For a simple LR circuit V=IZ.

Even using Z, I still arrive at 48 A. 120/2.5 = 48 A Which is not the correct answer. It is .7 A.

Last edited:
I get I = 0.707 A.

Z≠2.5Ω.

dwn said:

Homework Statement

An inductor has an inductance of 0.45 H and internal resistance of 2.5 . If the H
inductor is connected to a 120-V (rms) source at 60 Hz, what is the current (rms) through
it?
How do you determine the impedance of a series circuit of 0.45 H in series with a resistance of 2.5Ω ? You have studied complex number arithmetic?

1. What is the formula for calculating inductance?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = V/I, where L is the inductance in henries (H), V is the voltage in volts (V), and I is the current in amperes (A).

2. How do I solve for inductance when given voltage and frequency?

To solve for inductance when given voltage and frequency, use the formula L = V/(2πf), where L is the inductance in henries (H), V is the voltage in volts (V), and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

3. What is the unit for inductance?

The unit for inductance is the henry (H), named after scientist Joseph Henry.

4. Can I use the given information to calculate the current?

Yes, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω). However, you will need to know the resistance in order to calculate the current.

5. What is the significance of inductance in electrical circuits?

Inductance is the property of a circuit that resists changes in current and stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is an important factor in the design and functionality of electrical circuits, particularly in alternating current (AC) circuits.